Muffled sound from iPod and laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FredtheCat, Jan 13, 2010.

1. FredtheCat

FredtheCat New Member

Just got a low-end Onkyo receiver for the bedroom (TX-8255). FM radio sounds great, but when I tried connecting my iPod or laptop to the receiver with a 3.5mm to RCA cable, the sound is muffled and shitty.

Am I doing something wrong here? I was playing high-quality audio files and tried each of the inputs on the receiver. I tried two different cables as well: a cheap one and an expensive Monster cable.

:dunno:

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

serious answer, make sure the plug is all the way in the iPod.

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw OT Supporter

lower ipod volume to halfway then increase the receiver volume to see if it sounds better.

try plugging the ipod into a dock, so you are using the bottom connector, not the headphone, then come out the dock into the receiver.

try the ipod on another setup (clock radio, home theater, aux input in car) to rule out the headphone jack on the ipod being bad.

4. FredtheCat

FredtheCat New Member

I checked every connection multiple times. And to clarify, the sound sucks with both the iPod and the computer. Tried the volume suggestion, to no avail. Looks like I may have to get an iPod dock/wireless system of some sort if I can't think of anything else.

I'm not sure how the outputs on both of these devices can possibly be this bad... I'm no audiophile, but I would at least expect the sound quality to match that of the radio. It's just really muddy and sounds like someone threw some blankets over the speakers.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. FredtheCat

FredtheCat New Member

Bought a new cable and tried some different EQ settings and got some listenable sounds. I think I just wasn't used to the scooped mids and processed sound of radio rock compared to most of the music I listen to. :o