Mudding/Off-Roading/FJ Cruiser “The Dunes” Want Pictures? Oh You'll Get Some

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by MikeEagle12, Feb 21, 2008.

1. MikeEagle12

MikeEagle12 New Member

Mudding/Off-Roading “The Dunes”[/b]

Over winter break I drove my girlfriend back to her hometown of Albany, Georgia to stay with her mom for a few days. There are some fun things to do around there, but after a couple days I was starting to get bored. That night, we met up with some of her friends and one of them pointed out my FJ. We started talking about our trucks and places we've been when he then told me of a place called “The Dunes” . He gave me some directions, and without knowing much else about the place, and I loaded up the FJ with some waders, a shovel, rough boards, and some food the next morning.

The Dunes is right along the Flint river and from the looks of it, is an old sand quarry. It’s a pretty big place, around 100 acres or more, of trails going every which way. Has a lot of mud holes, donut circles, and huge mounds of sand that can be driven up and down. Is a great place for noobs and pros alike to have some fun. I drove my stock FJ through there and didn’t get stuck once. Was funny too because there were two trucks that had gotten stuck on one of the dunes earlier that day and there owners were no where to be found. At one point, I even spotted a herd of deer and was able to drive right up along side of them as they were running for about 100 yards.

You need to be careful as some of the mud holes are pretty deep. I would recommend you wading through them first or at least driving slow before plowing through. Day one was a blast and after a long day of showing up all the other guys out there, I headed back home, eager for the next day.

The Beast (sorry if your scroll finger gets tired, I wasn't lying haha)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Watch for this hole fellas, she's a nasty one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MikeEagle12

MikeEagle12 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hope you all enjoyed the pictures

3. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Can't be, it's a Toyota and it has independent suspension.:mb:

Anyways, looks like fun.
    Nice to see it being used for something other than the pavement. :)

4. ToyTundra

ToyTundra slanted soundstage

I stay out of water, but it looked like fun.

5. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

congratulations, you're a fucking douche bag.

i mean, its pretty cool, splashing through mud puddles, though.

6. b2bvattan

b2bvattan New Member

Thats freakin sweet...kudos to whoever took the pics

7. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Looked like a blast! The FJ seems fairly capable right out of the box.

8. mellow

mellow New Member

Oh how I have longed to see a NEW FJ go offroad!!!! Nice to see the FJ can still live up to what it's been known to do very well :big grin: and great pics!

9. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

:ugh: wow... splashing through mud puddles.

10. Nolimit26927

Nolimit26927 High Class White Trash OT Supporter

so why was the back window open?

11. MikeEagle12

MikeEagle12 New Member

What was the point of saying this?

12. MikeEagle12

MikeEagle12 New Member

hope you're being sarcastic, or maybe you just don't know much about the sport.

You try taking another stock vehicle through 3 to 4 feet of water/mud and see if you can get through it. Not to mention the high degree incline of the loose sand mounds. They had already stopped two trucks earlier that day trying to get up and down them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  13. MikeEagle12

MikeEagle12 New Member

glad I could show you them

oh and my girlfriend took the pictures, she got some amazing shots. She was a trooper too because it was a cold day and I got her wet a few times. When you plow a 4000 pound beast into water, it's got to go somewhere. One time it caught her off guard and a two foot wave came rushing at her, getting her shoes soaked haha.

But she had a good time over all. Was the first time she has gone off roading and I even let her do some donuts in the mud pit. Yeah I like her alot haha :p

14. CraneCamsOU

CraneCamsOU OT Supporter

stockxterra.jpg

15. MikeEagle12

MikeEagle12 New Member

:rofl:

16. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

Awesome pics. I have been considering a FJ on and off for the past year or so. Great color. I also love the new Sandstone. I am seriously surprised you were able to do all of this with the stock rubber....

17. BigT

BigT LSX Crew

awesome pictures and it looks like you had a lot of fun :bigthumb:

18. MikeEagle12

MikeEagle12 New Member

I could have posted up more pictures of the off roading, but the pictures weren't as cool as plowing through the mud. I really don't get why you guys keep refering to mud puddles, 3-4 feet pits more like it. Am still waiting for you guys to post up some pictures of your stock vehicles going through water that deep and inclines at that level. Unitll then, just keep talking out of your asses.

The point is, I had fun and was trying to get some great action shots. The FJ can go through some pretty deep water, has about 11 inches of ground clearance, and some great kick for a suv right out of the box. I have yet to see an suv that can match it stock. Always fun to follow and sometimes out last my buddies down trails who have mud tires, lifts, and other mods.

19. bubbaZR2

I know you're all giddy about your new suv, but splashing through mud puddles at high speed is pretty weak. And to sit there and say that no other vehicle could splash through mud puddles like the almighty toyota FJ cruiser is also pretty fuckin weak. Grow up man :rolleyes:

20. itsmevishal2k4

itsmevishal2k4 OT's Resident Brownie

ok this was asked before but i am going to ask it again. why was the rear window open?

apart from that looks pretty badass for stock :bigthumb:

21. MikeEagle12

MikeEagle12 New Member

It's not new, I've had it for over a year and half. Who the hell is talking about splashing through mud puddles, read what I wrote again dumbass.

From what I've seen on my rides and other vehicles I've owned in the past, I have yet to see something to match the FJ stockvsstock in the same price range. Still waiting for you to prove me otherwise and stop talking out of your ass. I never meant to come accross as being a fanboy of the FJ or brag, I simple wanted to show what it could do stock and share some cool pictures my girlfriend managed to take.

22. Cheeks

Cheeks New Member

23. bubbaZR2

heres an old vid of us playing in puddles. Vid must have been taken 4-5 years ago. We were young and thought splashing in the mud was cool. But thats when my S10 was stock. In fact both trucks were stock. It really doesnt take much to splash throuh mud man. THat water was just as deep as the water you went through. Now my truck is on 35s, fully locked, and i have a solid axle in the works.

Pretty stupid vid, but we were young, dumb, and if i remember that day right we were pretty fuckin lit.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=711492

24. MikeEagle12

MikeEagle12 New Member

You must be pretty fucking high on your horse. What is wrong with a little fun and taking pictures of your rig going through mud and water. You seem to be one of the only ones that thinks the pictures aren't cool and rather lame. Don't know if your jealous or just have a stick up your ass. I looked at the video and don't see water anywhere near as deep as some of the mud holes I went through. The mud you went through looks more like 2ft. Look again at my pictures, and you can see the water was above my hood at one point. Maybe your more into rock climbing or trail running, that's fucking great. Me on the other hand, I like having fun in the mud and going through water. Is a hell of alot more fun and exciting in my opinion.

Again you have yet to show me any rig stock that can go in as deep water or as much of an incline that I have shown. I came in here to share some cool looking pictures, yet you continue to downplay my truck which serves no warrant.

If you want to play the game, atleast put some effort into it. However it's funny you mention your ZR2. If I remember correctly, that was one of the trucks stuck on the sand mounds that day. Didn't have the power or the ground clearance to make it out.

25. MikeEagle12

MikeEagle12 New Member

haha, believe it or not, no mud or water got in the back.

There's about an inch of black liner around the window and I usually leave the hatch open to give me a better view. I also like hearing/seeing the mud and water fly behind me more clearly. It's just something I've always done with my FJ after I traded in my jeep