MMA Muay thai crew or anyone that's interested in striking

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by teep, Jan 5, 2009.

1. teep

teep New Member

I had an awesome private session yesterday. My fundamentals are pretty strong, but it made me realize I still have to make certain tweaks and adjustments. Such as:

I can't explain this as well as he did, but he was telling me how really good boxers will make a subtle rounding motion in their shoulders to extend their range. Go try this. It will blow your mind. Stand in front of a mirror and raise both hands in the air. Touch one hand to your head (while keeping the other still up) and then raise it again. It will be a few inches above your other hand.

We worked on a lot of footwork too. He was explaining to me how guys like Melvin Manhoef can generate so much fucking power even while back up like that. It's hard to explain in words what we were doing though. Alot of it was just working on sooayang which is a muay boran thing meaning tiger walk.

This is just a fun trick you can try. When you check a leg kick, use that same leg and teep his base leg above the knee as he's bringing his kicking leg back. It's not a big powerful teep, but just a quick snap. It'll put him off balance just long enough that you can sweep him, throw a head kick, throw a big haymaker, etc.

It was really cool to learn all these subtleties. For most guys at the gym it's always just about banging and trading shots. No one ever thinks about why you do what you do.

For example another cool thing we worked on was:

throw a right kick to the body fast and connect. throw it again, but slightly slower so he blocks it. throw it again so he blocks again. then fake the right body kick and teep him. if he tried to check it like you wanted him to he'll be stumbling backwards. from the right teep jump right into a left high kick. this will have all his weight and attention focused on his upper body (and back up even more) leaving his lower body vulnerable. right after the left high kick follow through with a low (below the knee) right leg kick. try and kick through both legs. if you make it real strong and use your hands to help the guy will be on his ass in no time.

2. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Sounds good man. I can honestly say that in my few months training our coach spent alot of time, sometimes too much, dissecting why you do the things you do and I think while my technique, etc. needs tons of work the theory is much clearer. The way we dissected the balance of you and your opponent, momentum, all that jazz made me feel like in was in a BJJ class :rofl:

Checking out Gurgel's affiliated gym in Columbus tonight, will be interested to see how other places teach/train.

3. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

So you dont actually put your feet back down right?
    check the kick (his rear leg), then swing your leg around and push his lead leg?
    sounds cool, like it would square their body and open them up for a straight right.

4. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

5. teep

teep New Member

yeah. only with how the timing works his rear leg will still be in the front because his kick hasn't retracted back yet.

6. teep

teep New Member

fairtex and twins are nice although a bit expensive. i've never tried title, but a lot of the synthetic leathers ones are a big rougher and harder to break in.

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

the only synthetic i've used were the CSI and those things sucked shit. They got soft really fast and the stitching started getting weak to the point where i'd kick them and stuffing would fly out and get in my eye.

guess i'll see if anyone has the title ones at the gym tonight.