MTX 500D or Soundstream Reference 1000 amp, which one?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DjShiznit, Nov 29, 2006.

1. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

So I have an MTX 500D Class D mono amp sittin around, and my friend wants to trade me a Soundstream Reference 1000 amplifier for it. He claims the soundstream puts out too much power for the speakers he'll be running (why he couldn't turn down the gain, I dunno). Anyways, between these two amplifiers, which would YOU prefer? Thanks

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Aren't the ref's the 1/2 ohm stable monsters? :eek4:
    If so, I'm going with the Soundstream. Pics? more details?

3. DjShiznit

Hmm I dunno. 1/2 ohm? You sure? Lowest I've seen is 1 ohm stable for an amp. I'll see if I can get pics. I haven't even looked at it yet. I've heard soundstreams are good amps, however I have a friend who's had a few and he's had them fail, and unable to get them repaired as many parts are no longer available. I'm under the impression they don't make them anymore. I'll definitely have to look into this more. Was just curious as to whether or not it'd be a good trade. I'm having trouble buying my friends' logic that the amp is too powerful for his speakers. :dunno:

4. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Oh there are more than a few 1/2 and even 1/4 ohm stable amps...and soundstream made some of them. Quick googling doesn't turn up specs of a reference 1000, but I know damn well the (theoretically) lesser reference models are impressive. The monster I was thinking of may be the Class A 10.0, but the references look similar...I forget. Off the top of my head, the Class A is the 1/4 ohm stable one, the reference the 1/2 ohm stable. But it's been a while since I knew anyone running one. Look into this...the Soundstream may be older but you may very well come up on the long end of this deal by a fair margin. The 500D is a respectable sub-only amp but nothing really special...this could be.

(you engineer? :cool: )

edit: http://www.soundstream.com/manuals/AMP/REFERENCE/r5_7_10s/r5_7_10s.pdf

200x2/400x2/500x2/500x2 @ 4/2/1/0.5 ohm stereo
    400x1/800x1/1000x1/1000x1 @ 4/2/1/0.5 ohm bridge

all 12V ratings...solidly more than the 500D can muster into any load, plus full range and stereo capability if you have a big component set or something for it. Nice crossover built in, 1000 has a slick parametric bass EQ too.

If it works, is in decent shape and suits your application (bastard is gonna need some serious input current compared with your amp to make full power), take this trade ASAP!
    The thought of this thing feeding 450 a side to my boston components is just...holy shit :eek4:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

if it's a soundstream amp made after ~ 2004, then it is a Power Acoustik amp. I'd stick with the MTX if that's the case.

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

contact info for proof:

Power Acoustik Electronics
    1550 S. Maple Ave.
    Montebello, CA 90640 USA
    Phone: 323-722-3333
    Fax: 323-722-1122

Soundstream Technologies Corp.
    1550 S. Maple Ave.
    Montebello, CA 90640 USA
    Tel: 323-724-4600
    Fax: 323-722-8125

ok, so the phone #'s are different.

i remember when i found out about this i was like :ugh:

7. DjShiznit

Power Acoustic :ugh: Might as well be Pyle. WTF thanks for the info. I'll go look at it in the next day or two and take pics, specifically of the serial tag. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out :hs:

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:wavey: no prob. if it's older than 2004, it would still be a tough decision. MTX amps are pretty bad

9. DjShiznit

Well I talked to my friend, and it's a Reference 1000SX, like *THIS ONE* I believe. I told him that later model soundstreams are made by power acoustic. He took it to the local car stereo / amp repair man, and he thought it was made in late 00 or early 01 (not sure how he'd know that, but that's what my friend told me). Does it seem to be a safe trade at this point? Time to get rid of the 500D for this soundstream? :x:

10. DjShiznit

OK so I took some pics of the amp...

I guess the question begs to be asked again, trade teh MTX 500D for this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Someone please verify for me that this is the old school soundstream amp I'm hoping it is :x:

11. Faygo

Faygo Got any room in your pocket for a little spare Cha

That is the old series. They are very nice amps. I used to have quite a few of the old Soundstreams and wish I had kept them. If that one is in good working order, I would make the trade.

Edit: If I remember correctly, that amp is older than 2000, probably around mid 90s. I think the later model 1000s didn't have the exposed panel, but I could be wrong.

12. DjShiznit

Well I made the trade, I'll probably be putting together a system in my car this spring :hs:

13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

werd. i couldn't really comment, cause i like both amps...and I know what an MTX amp is capable of.

14. DjShiznit

Yeah I've had great luck with MTX amps in the past. I've never had one quite as powerful as a 500D though. I picked it up for $100 from a friend, and never got around to building a system. Now I traded it back to the same friend for the Soundstream. I probably won't build a system until sometime this spring (need to do work to the car, buy some subs, 4ch amp, and find some good component speakers for the front). It's gonna be kinda challenging since the dash speakers are only 4". Probably will have to have custom enclosures built into the door panels to get any decent sound upfront. Too many decisions...