msvc library headache

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by crotchfruit, Aug 2, 2003.

1. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

cliff note forward: how do i build a static library in 6.0 that "uses mfc" and is linkable in .net 2003?

here's the lowdown: i have visual c++ 6.0 [mfc42], the other person has visual studio .net 2003 [mfc71]. neither of us has the other person's compiler.

i'm trying to give the other guy a static library that links with mfc (static library makes references to CWnd.) the problem is, when he tries to link with the library in .net, it says

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'mfc42.lib'

so apparently my static library has fixed references to mfc42.lib in it, but VS .net 2003 doesn't come with mfc42.lib, just mfc71.lib :hs:.

i tried going to the lib settings and choosing "not using MFC" (even though it is) and this just generates a billion other errors at linktime.

i also suggested that the other person make a copy of mfc71.lib and rename it mfc42.lib. needless to say this did not work either.

i tried searching google but came up empty.. any ideas?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

man, are you sure it just can't find the lib file? tell him to go into tools -> options and under the "Projects" category on the left side, pick "VC++ Directories". In the right dropdown box select "library files" and have him create a new entry listed below to where he is putting that .lib

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

You might try sending him mfc42.lib and mfc42.dll also

4. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Or, if you have mfc static libraries installed, change your project settings to link to mfc statically and see what that does.

5. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

i thought about this. it's possible, but the mfc lib directory is about 50mb. besides, if this is going to be distributed to other people as well, i need a solution that doesn't require me to send other files.

i told him to search for mfc42.lib on his computer.. he didn't say he found it, be he's not being very helpful in debugging this issue :hs:

mfc42.lib comes w/ VS 6.0, and not with .net i guess. .net gets mfc70/71.lib. the lib i gave to him is called my_lib_blah.lib, not mfc42.lib.

does anyone here use VS .net? how do you load libs that are linked to old versions of mfc?