msoobe error + activation lockout = brick

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cp5184, Jun 2, 2009.

1. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

my gaming computer got win32.virut.cf. went into safe mode and tried to get rid of it, eventually I lost, powered down, moved the hard drive to another computer, ran an antivirus, and now...

I turn it on, it tells me it's not activated and I can't logon... so it runs msoobe... which crashes... booting me back to login. right now I've got a couple games I don't want to lose activations on, bioshock, mass effect, a couple others.

I'm screwed?

2. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

safe mode?

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Ummmm.....
    This is XP or Vista?

Are you able to get the activation wizard to run?

If so just call up microsoft and tell them you need it activated. When they ask what happened just tell them the truth. They will walk you through activating it.

4. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

booting to safe mode brings up a prompt "activation can't run in safe mode, you cannot run safe mode until you activate" or something like that.

msoobe is the activation wizard. microsoft's techsupport are people who hand hold people through walking through the activation wizard. I might try if I get desperate enough, but I'm 99% sure they'll bounce me to OEM support.

5. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Is it a legit copy of Windows? By subscription for your games, do you mean that you downloaded them off of Steam? When you put the hard drive in the other computer, did you try copying over your save files for said games?

6. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

it's legit. bioshock uses ... securom iirc, I think mass effect does too. you have a limited numbers of "slots" or something.

7. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

If you have a legit license, you should have no problem getting it activated in less than 5 minutes.

8. OniMinion

I agree, when I replaced HD's for people at Geek Squad, the reinstall of WinXP almost always required new activation. It's a snap to just have the computer disconnected from the internet and call it in.

You'll read them codes, and they'll read you codes back... simple. Good Luck!

9. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

You don't even have to speak with a person most of the time, and when you do they will ask questions like "how many computers is it installed on", "how many times has this been installed", "this is a retail or oem version", ect. Easy all get out.

10. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

let's try this again.

I turn on the computer. it boots happily...

login comes up, I click on my profile.

a window pops up "your activation grace period is up, you can't logon without first activating"

then the activation program, "c:\windows\system32\msoobe.exe /a" runs. this is the activation diologue you people are talking about where you get some verification number or you just balls out do an online activation.

this program crashes.

I get the "abort or debug" diologue.

the problem here, is that the activation program fails.

11. OniMinion

Format C:

12. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

yea, pop in a windows disk do the repair thing. need to find someone with a disk, don't trust torrents to be 1:1 legit copies.

13. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Could always try a repair on the OS see what that brings about, if not then you will most likely need to do a format unless you can figure out what files bad and replace it with a good one.