MSF Class experiences

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by pirate, Feb 23, 2004.

1. pirate

pirate Track | DSLR | MTB

I'm looking for first-hand accounts of your experiences with the MSF class. I'm thinking about buying a bike and although I have some riding experience, I'm already signed up for the basic class. I figure that the more experience I can get and the more knowledge about safety I can have, the better, especially since I'm going to be spending money on my own bike in the short future. Thanks in advance :bigthumb:

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Take the class before buying a bike. Not sure what info on the MSF you're looking for.

3. rider

rider New Member

The instructors were really cool and helped me feel really comfortable on the bike. I had fun, even during the classroom sessions!, and everyone in my class was really cool and everyone just wanted to help everyone else out with advice during the drills. I had a good time. Only one guy got "kicked out" because he dropped the bike during a drill on the first day of class, but everyone else passed (I think).

Oh yah, and in a class of like 20 people, I was one of 8 girls in the class. :)

4. BlackCord96

BlackCord96 The Humble Magnificent.

I started my first class yesterday, which was all lecture.

It was 4 hours long. The instructor was very energetic and funny, so time went by fast. It was more of an interactive class, in that everyone had to participate and answer questions. I can't wait for the first riding class this weekend.

5. castrolr1

castrolr1 Guest

i don't know what to say... i went to watch 2 girl who took both classes ride the next day....one dropped her bike...... the other barely stayed out of the ditch. find someone with experience and find a big parking lot.. start of practicing taking off and stopping a lot... and learn the importance of counter steering

6. pirate

pirate Track | DSLR | MTB

I've got some roads around me that are basically country roads. I live on the outskirts of town and there's little-to-no traffic if I turn right out of my neighborhood. If I turn right, however, there's a best buy and circuit city about 1000 yards down the road. I'll be going right for a while :rofl:

7. mitsuguy16

mitsuguy16 New Member

the more u learn, the better it gets ;)

8. Stylerod

Stylerod 150mph in a swimsuit :eek3:

Best statement of the year. I was a pretty experienced dirt bike rider when I took my first MSF course. I had ridden on the street for about a year or so, maybe rode 400-500 miles. I enroled in one of the more advanced classes and I learned a lot! I had never heard of counter-steering before that class and we got to go out and practice it later in the day.

It was just so much fun to be with so many people that loved and got excited by bikes and riding. Everyone was great, from the old guys to the brand new riders.

Once you complete that and have ridden for a year or so, sign up for the California Superbike School. I have been 3 times and you would be amazed at how much you learn how to control a bike at speed during those sessions.

Have fun!

9. funkatation

funkatation I'm dead sexy!

I took MSF in Feb, it was great. It was in 35 degree weather when we went riding, but other than that it was a whole lot of fun. Instructors were very knowledgeable, the bikes were in great condition, etc. I would definitely finish the class before buying a bike though.

10. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

I got my license by taking the MSF class....i say thats the only way to go. Otherwise you have to take a weird ass test from the DMV where you have a little earphone in your helmet and they follow in a car and tell you where to turn and shit.

plus the MSF class teaches you some things and make syou experience things like what it feels like to be in a rear tire lock up and stuff like that.

11. STA

STA Guest

I've been reading the DOT's manual and looking at abates website, but still have a few questions. I have never ridden a motorcycle, are they pretty patient at teaching the basics? And what would I expect to ride since they will provide bikes if you don't own one?

12. Papabato

Papabato Guest

The instructors (for my course at least) were very patient, and we rode little 250's (Rebels, viragos, etc.). Another +1 for the course it kicks ass.

13. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

In NYC it's about 370-390 bucks :eek3: