MS04-004 IE Critical Patch

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by col_panic, Feb 3, 2004.

1. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Yay for Firebird!

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Threads like these are not needed. If you don't like IE, don't use it. There is no need to bash other companies or pieces of software for their flaws. If you're not using the software, why do you care to begin with? I guess people like you just take every possible shot at Microsoft. And for what? To look "cool" for referring to the company by M$? :ugh2:

You do nothing but waste bandwidth and disk space for a thread that could be viewed as a popularity contest. Which as I'm sure you know is a :nono: on OT. Just let it go and be happy with what you have. Don't feel like you have to justify why you use Firebird over IE, we don't care.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Why not?

I use IE but this is getting rediculous. You shouldn't be able to infect your computer simply by visiting a site. There's nothing wrong with voicing your opinion - especially on here.

Personally, the idea of a browser being more than just a browser is a good one - it's just not being executed properly. You're better off locking everything down but the browsing part and opening up portions of the program as needed.

5. col_panic

huh? it is my job to distribute patches for these vulnerabilities and i am sure many others in c&p do the same thing. i found out yesterday about this and wanted to give a heads up to the other admins so they would know asap. when critical updates are released, i always like to know and appreciate when others bring it to my attention.

and i am using the software. right now.

6. CompiledMonkey

I also distribute patches and any admin that doesn't keep up with their patches doesn't deserve to be told.

But you know that was not your sole intent in making this thread. Anybody who read it can see that. If you really wanted to bring awareness to the threat, all you needed to do was post a link...

7. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

I have to agree. And to say that admins should know their jobs or get what's coming to them might have some validity... But how many people that browse OT are sysadmins? I see his post as addressing a patch and recommending an alternative solution.

8. col_panic

whatever. i make no apologies for my m$ bashing. i don't care why you defend them. i posted the thread in a tone you don't like and you got butt hurt. i don't apologize for that, but it was not my primary motivation - who the hell do you think you are to judge my motivation?

welcome to my ignore list.

edit: you are a mod so i can't ignore you. welcome to my disregard list.

9. CompiledMonkey

I'm not defending Microsoft. I'm simply saying that to make people aware of a security issue, your approach was incorrect and provided more bashing than anything else. As I've said before, all you needed was the link.

I'm so curious to hear more about this "butt hurt". Did I just blink and get pushed back to 4th grade? :dunno:

You posted your negative thoughts about a company and it's product and you expect nobody to judge the reasoning behind what you said? :ugh2:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bigthumb:

10. col_panic

see, this is what i refuse to get into in c&p. take this shit to offtopic and i will argue all night

11. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

And this thread's gone to shit :(

12. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Opinions are one thing. Personal attacks are another. Opinions are what we're here for. But lets keep it civil.

"M$" is an old school rip on Microsoft in relation to how money driven they are. If I understand this patch, they're finally addressing a 3+ year old IE bug. I'd ask why so long? Why are they dropping IE on the Mac? Its all about the Benjamins...

13. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

14. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:ugh: whether you like firebird or not if you are running windows you have IE installed and running at all times dumbasses :slap:

15. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

Just because u have IE installed doesnt mean u use it to browse web pages :ugh:

16. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

But how will you see all the pages that firebird can't render correctly?

Either way - if it's on your system why wouldn't you want to patch it?

17. col_panic

what? iexplore.exe does not load unless i start it, at least on nt. is it so tightly integrated on xp that it runs when you start windows?