MS/J++ question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CompiledMonkey, Apr 30, 2003.

1. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I was asked to make some updates to a batch of code. I was under the impression it was Java, but turns out to be J++. :sad2: Now, I've got the source and have created a project in MSJV++ 6.0. I put the source files in the package they need to be in. When I try to compile, some of them compile fine. Others give me problems. Every error message is this type ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...s/vj98help98/html/vjmsgcompilererrorj0234.asp ).

Here is an example of the code it's giving me an error on. The error is in red.

Code:
    button4.setLocation(new Point(456, 296));
    button4.setSize(new Point(152, 24));
    button4.setTabIndex(6);
    button4.setText("Exit");
    button4.addOnClick(new EventHandler(this.[COLOR=red]button4_click[/COLOR]));

There is a method called button4_click as well, so I'm confused as to why I'm getting this. I added a new button through the designer, to test it, and it created the same exact code as I posted above. It gave an error on that code as well. Maybe I've got my environment setup wrong, I really have no idea. Does anyone have a clue?

IB Digi with questions about why I'm using J++. :p This is how it was given to me, so I don't have a choice. ;)

2. CompiledMonkey

Well, I fixed the problem. When I said I added a button to a form, it was an existing form. A few mins ago I created a new form in my project, added a button and tried to compile. When I did it asked if I wanted to turn something on (I can't remember what it was called) because it was currently off and may screw up the compiling part. After I turned that on, everything works and compiles fine. Damn those little problems like that... :big grin:

3. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

for future reference, i believe that dialog box was asking if you'd like to enable the microsoft java extensions (to allow your java ui stuff to look like common controls.)

the dialog box warns you that enabling the extensions will cause your code to be incompatible with non-microsoft-supporting VMs (and i think something along the lines of 'we may discontinue support for java soon').

4. CompiledMonkey

Yeah, that sounds about right. Actually, I've enjoyed what I've seen of J++ so far. Having a VB drag and drag interface with Java code behind it is pretty cool. This contract I'm on is a .NET shop and I hope to get going on some of that after this J++ stuff is over. I think they want to keep me on for the summer. :cool:

5. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

word. visual j++ is/was my favorite java compiler - by far the best java debugger i have used - tho i haven't touched it in awhile. as far as i knew it was only compatible w/ java 1.1.8.. dunno if they ever patched it to 1.2+. let us know how you like visual j# :)

6. CompiledMonkey

Ah man, I love some J#. It's basically J++ in the .NET environment. Any continued work I do for this company will be with C#, another language I really enjoy. :cool: