MS-DOS and Networking?!?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5Gen_Prelude, Jun 23, 2003.

1. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I won't bore you with the details but I need to run an MS-DOS box that is networkable. Where do I start? I've got 6.22 but how do I make it network aware?

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

3. 5Gen_Prelude

Wow that first guy's writeup is really hard to read... looking at the second

4. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

if you just want to be able to participate on a netbios/TCPIP network, grab the LANMAN for DOS disks off microsoft's ftp.
    If it doesn't come with a driver for your nic, usually they're included in the LANMAN.DOS directory on your nic's driver disk.

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

There was the MS DOS WFW client (which appears to be what the 2nd link is describing). Back before the Internet was what it was today, I had problems finding the DOS client because you had to pay for it seperately from WFW.

Assuming you have enough drive space to toss Win 3.11, you could use NetBEUI/TCPIP. The other option is to do a base install of Win9x and redo the autoexec.bat to skip booting to Windows. You'll still have access to the net tools. Although from the 2nd link, it looks like that will take care of doing this.

How much drive space do you have to play with? I've done a WFW install on an XT with 40mb of drive space and 640k of RAM. I've also done a Win95 install on a 486DX2 66Mhz with 2mb RAM and a 120mb drive. They're not speed demons, but they're on the network and Internet friendly.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

It's not because of a slow box, it's because of this stupid software that has to run 24/7. I'm somewhat concerned I won't have enough conventional memory (holy crap - time warp!). I'm slugging through the second article - has to work within a domain.

Internet is not an issue - strictly on a LAN

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

If it has to work through a domain, then it doesn't sound like Microsoft's Windows For Workgroups DOS client (which I think is exactly what you want). Problem is I don't know how you'll find it as a stand alone. I gave up and just installed a flavor of Windows that has it built in. You can then use the NET commands (net start, net view, net use, etc).

What kind of TCPIP tricks you looking to do? FTP? Telnet? Web browsing? If its FTP or Telnet, I believe you can just go with WFW for DOS (use NetBEUI to do the talking). But for web, you'd need Winsock.

8. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Sounds like an emulation box. ;)

9. 5Gen_Prelude

It just has to share a drive and access a shared drive. I'd rather not set up NetBEUI if I can avoid it.

10. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

I am currently using the LANMAN for DOS software to connect to winxp shares from an old dos only laptop...works fine. In 'enhanced' mode, it supports logging on to an NT style domain (no it doesn't support AD).

I pulled them for free from ms's ftp. I guess its down now, but I'm sure you can find the images elsewhere on the net. There were 3 of them.