MS Apps freaking out with new HD??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deltarider99, Jan 10, 2005.

1. deltarider99

deltarider99 New Member

So my old drive is a 5 year old Maxtor. I bought a 120 gb WD to replace it. I set up the new drive as slave and then ran the drive copy utility that came with the kit to clone the old drive to the new one. After that completed successfully, I set the WD up as master and powered everything back up.

It seemed like everything worked at first, but I started to notice that many of my Microsoft apps were failing on me. Outlook 2003 died first, and then so did System Recovery. Windows itself was acting really flaky in general.

Has anyone here ever attempted to copy a drive before? This is my first time doing it. Anybody have any tips to do this? Would Service Pack 2 or the fact that I didn't run this in safe mode have anything to do with it? Thanks very much in advance. :cool:

2. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Those drive copies are reliable. I'd go over the steps and make sure everything checks out in how you ran them. (sounds like you did things right though)

Hope you didn't format the drive you copied from yet. You can try the copy again.

Otherwise you might want to run some diagnostics on your new drive, scandisk/chkdsk/maxtor diags.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I have copied a drive or two like that before, but not a master drive.

I would highly recommend doing a format if you plan or planned to swap out your master drive for a new one. That way you are starting up clean.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I can't remember how many master drives I've cloned with Norton Ghost. Actually, someone ordered 250 systems from me so I installed everything on one, and just cloned all the other drives from it. Simple. Never had it fail.