SRS MS and Cancer...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by OniMinion, Aug 27, 2009.

1. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

My boss was just diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). Shes only a year older than me, 28 to be exact, and is married with one child. I too am married as well, but I don't have any kids (yet). For some reason we got along really well off the bat, and have a very positive working relationship. She said she was leaving early today and I asked why. Her response was that "I have MS, and I just found out yesterday". We work at the American Cancer Society, and so still unsure if she was serious or not asked, "so are you dropping ship to switch to a new non-profit".

...Stupid... She did laugh, and then told me she just found out last night after an emergency MRI for numbness that wouldn't go away in the right-half of her body.

I just realized I'm the only one here in the office that knows about it (there are roughly 100 people in this office alone). I'm partly freaking out because I'm only a year younger, and can't fathom learning such news. I'm also one of the newest employees here, and know very few others. I don't know what to say to her tomorrow, or what I can do to "help". Shit...

2. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

That's rough. The grandmother of a friend I grew up with had it. She was in a wheel chair when I met him ( I was about 5 years old) and by the time I was 16-17 she had died. Over the course of my childhood she got worse. It was to the point where she could not speak and just stay in a chair. It was really bad when she could not even move her face at some points. :(

What to say to her? I'd probably say "I've never dealt with anybody being in your shoes but I'm here for you". Just try and always keep a positive attitude even when things are bad. Don't bitch and complain about the little things because to her they are so trivial now dealing with MS.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Im terribly sorry to hear that, i have an aunt that has MS ,so the best advice that i can give her on that experience is do everything you can do within as short period of time as possible. Because the moment you are in a wheelchair its over. As time progresses you can do less and less and less. And to be honest id rather die a quick painfull death then slowly being consumed for years by a disease like MS. I could only recommend eating fish oil as a last resort to replenish the lost fats that are attacked by the body's immune system. The only real solution to cure MS is to make the body's immune system 'forget' what they are supposed to be attacking, and then reprogram the system again to target only 'real' threats.

Somehow the immunesystem has to learn that those nerve area's are not to be attacked , i don't know if your cancer research could contribute something to that, but i really hope they find solutions for those terrible diseases soon. :hsd:

4. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:( hearing news like that is absolutely crazy. my old boss' husband was diagnosed with MS at the age of 28 as well!

5. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

How long did it take before she was in a chair?

I don't think I can tell her that considering the nature of our relationship.

No doubt, it seems WAY too early to have something so harsh. I was just worrying about getting my H1N1 Vac since I'm also in schools a lot.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

My girl friend just got diagnosed with MS. She is only 25 :(

7. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

:( That's so sad to hear.

8. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

There are different types of MS. And they have different levels of disability. Does she know what type she has?