MS Access help please...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vbp6us, Aug 30, 2005.

1. vbp6us

vbp6us New Member

Hi all,

I have a table (with data) which is linked via a Page aka Data Access Page. I made the page using the Wizard and it recognized all the columns in my table. Every thing works fine when scrolling through the navigation buttons , save, add new row, etc...

I have to add a new column which is called Link to my table now. I have done this much. I need this to also show up on the Page file (index.htm).

At this point I have made the column Link and the first cell a hyperlink with a destination to some PDF file. It is working fine in Table design mode but when I actually open the index.htm that text box comes up like this:

PDF#http://www.georgetown.edu/students/student.pdf

instead of

PDF

What are some other objects/controls I can use in Page design mode in which would make that cell show up as a link as opposed to how it is showing up right now? Btw, I can't even click that that right now. When I click PDF#http://www.georgetown.edu/students/student.pdf it does nothing and that is understandable because it is a Text box currently but what is a better object to use to make it act like a link? A hyperlink object would not work because it would be the same destination all the time.

Screenshots of what I'm talking about:

http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=14mu1.jpg
    http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=25ad.jpg

As you can see in this last pic, I used a command button and it is grabbing the link location from the data table but not going to it when clicked. :(

[​IMG]

Thank you

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I got confused, are you saying the PDF file never changes or it does change per record? And if it's the latter, why does not making a field type of hyperlink within the table not work?

3. vbp6us

vbp6us New Member

The PDF file does change per record. I just put one on the first line because I wanted to test it out.

If I understand what you're saying correctly, you are saying why not make a link in the .html file? That is not going to work because it will stay the same for all the records.

If not that, I think you're saying why not make a link in the column (Hyperlink column) and then make a field in the data access page which changes the link on each record? I've done that but it doesn't show up as a link. See the screens? It shows up like that. :(

4. 5Gen_Prelude

Okay what data type is the field link right now?

5. vbp6us

vbp6us New Member

Data type? The data table is saved as .mdb. The controlsource in the Form (html) goes to the "Link" column. I know I didn't label that purple button but that is the thing I want to be a link and I want it to change the link to a different pdf as the record changes. :hsd:

6. 5Gen_Prelude

Yeah - like date/time, number, text... etc. I think I know what you're getting at tho - when you publish it doesn't show up as a link - just text. A button beside it might be in order (push the button, reads the data beside it and launches the window). Still looking into it.

7. vbp6us

vbp6us New Member

YES!!! No body seems to understand what I want when I ask around even at work, lol. Yes that is pretty much what i need. It may take a macro but that may be overkill. What do you mean by a button beside it? A button beside the text field on the .html file? Thanks for your help btw.

8. vbp6us

vbp6us New Member

Anything new?

9. 5Gen_Prelude

Sorry dude - I don't know why this is so bloody difficult to find - I haven't spent a lot of time publishing using data access. You definately can do it via html programming (script editor), but I haven't done much with HTML either.

10. vbp6us

vbp6us New Member

That's cool. Thanks for the help though. I found out I can do it in Form mode and it works really nicely. Btw, I THINK for it to work you have to have an ASP server running. Thanks.