Mr2?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by import power online, Mar 28, 2003.

1. import power online

import power online Twin Turbo Madness

I have modded MANY hondas and Acuras including Turbo and SC and Swaps. Currently I have a VR4.

Not too familiar with Toyotas. How is the market support for the 91+ MR2? I love the body style and build quality over similar year hondas. And mid engine and Rear Wheel Drive.

I suppose one could take an N/A and swap in a Built Turbo motor with a large turbo?

How well do they take to Suspension mods? I like a good handling car also.

Overall thoughts?

2. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

I have no personal experience with these cars but from what a few owners of modded ones have told me, they're not easy cars to mod because of the mid-engine configuration. There is aftermarket support for them but much of it is Japanese which means it's more expensive of course. But when modded they're supposed to handle pretty well and they can be pretty fast. You're biggest problem is gonna be finding one. Naturally aspirated versions are difficult to locate. Turbo versions are IMPOSSIBLE to find unless you know somebody. If you do find one chances are the owner will be asking above bluebook for it unless he's someone you know. I have no idea how well the NA motor takes to FI but i heard that's not an easy mod to do.

3. SickOfItAll

SickOfItAll The Bartender

First off, go to these 2 websites to find more info:

www.mr2faq.com

THEN

board.mr2faq.com

Read then post, otherwise you'll have the hordes screaming at you to use the search function ;)

Now, to answer your questions...

Market support for the 91+ MR2 is quite good. Engine components, suspension, interior, body panels/kits, turbo kits, etc. are all readily available in the states if you know where to shop (some shops stock the stuff, some don't)

You can definitely take an NA one and drop in a built turbo motor with a bigger turbo - I'm actually just finishing up that project myself, should have the car back in a week (hopefully). However there's more to a turbo car than just the motor - they have different transmissions, different brakes, and a few different styling cues, notably.

The car handles quite well, IF YOU KNOW HOW TO HANDLE IT. Remember this is a rear-weight bias car, with RWD. Snap oversteer is a real concern, especially when you start pumping out more power. Learn how to drive the car.

As far as suspension mods - they're all over the place. Everythign from basic springs/shocks, to coilovers, sway bars, strut bars, chromolly control arms and trailing arms, lower frame braces, etc.

Do some searching - they aren't that hard to find, especially if you're planning on restoring it. Keep in mind that the cars are a decade old now, so unless you find one that's been well maintained (which is a rarity), expect to have to put some cash in up front just to get it back into a proper state of tune.

4. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

Unfortunately it hasn't punished them all :mad:

5. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

I've been looking to buy one for about a month. Hard to find one at a descent price.

6. redna

redna New Member

7. mr20turbo

mr20turbo Guest

8. turbomr2

turbomr2 Guest

the cars are great i've got a '91na and a '93T love them both. you really do need to know how to drive if you wanna push it to the limits because if you don't you'll be facing traffic coming the other way.

the car is expensive to mod and maintain, but is really worth it, with all the attention that you'll get.

9. Red97GST

Red97GST Guest

yeah they are definately sweet cars. I tried looking for one like 2-3 years ago, and it is definately hard to find one you'll want. You'll find a lot of 91 or 92 models with like 140k miles that are kindof dying, or you'll find one thats been taken very good care of with decent miles that the owner is chargin too much for. After like a month of looking, i found like 3 cars that were in good condition but theey were in like frickin montana and tennessee and shit

good luck

10. turbomr2

turbomr2 Guest

my 91na has 185k on it and is still running like a champ. and the 93T has 72k, it's just getting broke in.

11. mr20turbo

mr20turbo Guest

i actually pulled the head on my car today, found out cyl 4 had some scarring and that the motor needs to come out :\, they are a money pit for sure, but like turbomr2 stated, well worth it. i love mr2's and am looking for a 1st gen n/a right now for a daily driver.

12. turbomr2

turbomr2 Guest

the 1st gen is an awesome car too, i would really love an '87 SC.

13. Brandon92DSM

Brandon92DSM Guest

all the major jap tuning companies make stuff for the MKII MR2. Theres tons of aftermarket support for it.

Finding a good example could be difficult, but far from impossible. Most of the Turbo models have t-tops, which i didnt like most of the time, so it might be cool to do a motor/tranny swap into a clean hardtop NA.

14. redna

redna New Member

I believe that the SC's started in 88

15. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

word. My girlfriend has a 94, which in itself is very rare, and she let me borrow it so she could take my GSR up to her shop to get it aligned. Anyways, it was raining pretty bad and I BARELY gave it gas around a corner and fucking almost lost it. Thank god for GT3, my recovery skills actually amazed me. BTW Paradas aren't THAT great in the rain. lol :slap:

I hope to find one for myself. Problem is if you do they still cost like $3k for a good 91 NA.

16. redna

redna New Member

3K for a good NA is a good find... NA's can still be found for 4-6K, turbos go for about 5-10K. Im talking about good condition cars

17. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

your best bet is to figure you'll have to travel alittle to pick it up.

18. redna

redna New Member

I shipped all 3 of mine. It runs about 700 bucks and usually ends up cheaper than driving if the car is more than about 2 states.

19. Luni420

Luni420 Boost Addict

I have a 91 with 147k miles on it, the stock turbo still pulls hard. I have only put about 1k into it since I had it (new head gasket, timing belt, pulleys, head job, etc) and gutted my cats. Right now I can take my buddies 90 Eclipse GSX at 17 psi and my other buddies 99 BMW M3 so its a fast car. In terms of handling. I have never driven a better handling car in my life. Sure its different but if you can get the dynamics of the car down to an art (like I have) it rewards you so much. I paid 6800 for mine in september of 01.

20. sikHybridM3

sikHybridM3 Guest

If u read the april or may issue of Sport compact car, they have a special section where the swapped the 3SGTE (stock turbo engine : 200 hp and ft lbs tourqe, for the lexus ES/Camry v6 which boasts same numbers) after this swap they added a speacial clutch, new exhuast, and a jackson SC to make 300 pounds o tourqe and higher hp ratings. not only that but the v6 left more room in the engine bay..... with this info, most 3SGTE can make 400-500 horse wit right mods, bigger induction kits, and better internals, just remember to up the supension, but the V6 is new and offer a new approach, just bring ur wallet with u as for that TRD, Greddy, apexi , and HKS make loads of parts, equipment for MR2 s and veilside, do-luck too, little more expensive, MR2 are great cars, excellent tourers and perfect for sunny days

21. solid snake

solid snake New Member

the newest newest issue of SCC has that gen mr2 as the used car special feature. or whatever they call the four page spread that they do every month about a featured find kind of car.
    I love that gen mr2, though.

22. mr20turbo

mr20turbo Guest

i sold my stealth to get my mr2, i would never go back