MR2...tell me more

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 4W4K3, Nov 17, 2006.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I have recently fallen in love with the MR2. mid-engine, RWD, compact, toyota...and the MKII design looks fuckign awesome.

What is inherently BAD about these cars? Other than the fact that they are hard to find in my area and ridiculously over priced :sadwavey:

[​IMG]

2. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

boring. get a 300z instead.

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

ew, unless you are referring to the older 300zx. plenty of those running around but most are rust buckets.

4. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

that car looks nice. I heard that oversteering is dangerous.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dammit, why didn't japan sell their cool cars in America? Why did they have to wait until the design status quo was "make it bubbly" before they bothered to make their fun cars conform to US regulations?

This MR2 just reminds me of all the hot-shit cars they used to have over there that we never got.

6. tecknic

tecknic OT Supporter

great cars, decent gas mileage, responds well to boltons but will most likely have some reliability issues due to age

7. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

They are getting overpriced due to supply and demand, especially the turbo's.

They have parts that fail due to age and heat from the turbo system. Look forward to small problems popping up.

Since it's a mid-engine RWD car, many people have been dumbasses, pushed the car too hard, and went ass-first into trees/ditches/buses of nuns. Slowly and carefully learn the car; it can bite back if you're not careful.

They can eat rear tires.

With a 3" downpipe and up'd boost to 15psi, they are very nice quick little street cars. Want anything more than that and it gets expensive quick.

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Are they rotary? I know they came in a couple different flavors, 4cyl. and V6 I think. NA, turbo, and twin turbo? Or maybe just one...I really don't know.

I've never driven a turbo car. Actually never driven anything over 300HP. So really I wouldn't need anything much to keep me happy for a while. If I find one it will be for daily driving, nothing extreme. I just want to have something fun to drive that I can work on in both looks and performance.

Being a turbo noob, I thought ~8psi on a small turbo would be "reliable", seeing as how the car is light and small. Is that a goood estimate, or completely off as far as MR2 turbo kits go?

9. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

snap oversteer

jesus fucking kitten christ they aren't rotary. I think you need to get on the internets and read some. If you're speaking of the SW20 chasis, Mk2 Mr2's they are only 4cyl. 5SFE I4 n/a and 3SGTE twin entry SINGLE turbo I4. No twin turbo, that's the Supra.

If you've never driven a turbo car OR an MR2 I suggest you take it real easy for a while. AN mr2 is not really the best option for a daily driver. They are two seaters, mid engine, lightweight, and rwd. I can't see how you've come to figure an MR2 for a DD. ALSO, being a Toyota, I will go ahead and say they aren't the most reliable pieces of machinery there is, although the 3SGTE is a great motor. I think you need to research. It is plainly obvious you haven't even so much as glanced at any MR2 information if you have to ask if they are rotary and you think they are a suitable DD. Nga plz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MR2

www.mr2oc.com

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Read alot about the history of the MR2, but none of it goes into any detail as to the suitability of the car or anything like that. Just dates and facts of production, design, etc. I just laid eyes on one 2 days ago...so no I haven't exactly been studying them day and night lol. Been lurking an MR2 forum trying to pinpoint the most common problems, and what they go for usually. Most seem to be 150K+ miles from $3-15 depending on upkeep obviously and alot are already modded.

I could always keep my Altima...but it sucks lol.

11. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

altima = dd
    mr2 = not so much?

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

yah i hear yah on that i just now read all about the oversteering issue with the sw20's. now i know what response #4 means haha. but i'd still love to have one if i could find one and i have the money. a little research and waiting never killed me.

13. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

what RWD cars are you experienced with?

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

define "experienced" lmao.

i've toyed with a few miata's before, somewhat similiar, but they were not mid-engine obviously. i drove a V8 camaro one time, just from school to home. parking lots, empty dirt roads, etc. i've never OWNED a RWD car before, just my altima.

to be quite honest i've not really got any "experience" with a RWD car. ran a set of tires off my altima in the 1.5 years i've had it but with a big heavy FWD car that's nothing for just about anybody.

EDIT: I wouldn't jump right into making the MR2 a street machine. I was really hoping to find a cheap NA I could work on, and when I had enough money and experience with it, swap the engine. I believe they were stock NA 135hp right? It's alot smaller and lighter, but my Alty even has 150HP...I think I'd be OK if I found a non-turbo.

15. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

I don't want you to buy an MR2. It'd be a waste of a good car. The 5SFE is a piece of crap in regards to a "cheap NA to work on". For that, look up a Honda or something. I'm telling you flatout, a NA MR2 is bleh. Turbo or nothing. a 5SFTE doesn't count.

16. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

hmm. well it sounds like you're trying to say it's a good upgrade car, but not for a beginner. i guess i can see why, but i don't like it :p

i still like alot of miata's, but if i had the chance/choice i think i'd still pick up an MR2. guess i'll just have to wait and see what is available. around here 1st-2nd gen miata's are slightly more available, but also overpriced. :sigh:

check back in 6 months and i'll update this thread with pics of my MR2 smashed into a tree. hah

17. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

Best thing you can do is drive it. It can be a dangerous car for someone not experienced though.

You joke about that tree thing, but you'd be suprised at how many MR2's die like that. Keep your options open. My main point is it would be a terrible DD. They're not as good on gas as people would leave you to believe.

18. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well i really wanted to get rid of my Altima, but you and a few other friends have told me that would be a stupid move. guess i should listen and just save my money. maybe i'll find a car better suited for me...or just "get more" experience before I finally find an MR2?

im 99% sure i'll have to make a trip to find one, or have it shipped...so more money at every corner. but i got all the time in the world. just reading about them is fun...i went through the same lust when i started liking miatas. dunno what happened there.

19. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

in addition, i mentioned before, MR2's are NOT cheap regarding upkeep. that's another thing to be prepared for. Honestly, if you want experience with an NA then Honda is gonna be your best bet. Unless you want something domestic, and there's options there too. Miatas are fun too but when i think DD, which you mentioned, I definately don't think two seater, if anything, a backseat, but at best, four doors. But it's your money man. I'm not saying you don't deserve an MR2. I'm just saying that there's a lot inherited when you buy one that most people are not aware of. I LOVE mr2's. I'm a Toyota guy you know, but even I would never own a turbo deuce for a DD. Some board members do, but they're such finnicky little cars, I don't know.

Best bet is to make friends with someone that owns one and have them let you drive it.

IDK. I'm going to bed.

20. Zerobar78

Zerobar78 New Member

The mr2 is a good car. They fit tall drivers which is huge for me, and they have a good aftermarket following. They are as reliable as any other toyota if you take care of it, and respond well to mods and are still competitive in some motorsport venues.
    Take your time learning the limits of the car, lift-throttle oversteer will own you!!

21. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

the NA version doesn't respond well to mods despite what he says. turbo, yes though.

22. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You should probably scope out a well-maintained CRX (or the newer version, the Del Sol, though the Del Sol requires more modification than the CRX) if you want a little rice-rocket that's easy to maintain. The CRX is the reason the MR-2 went away in the first place.

23. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

CRX's are cheap enough, "well maintained" is hard to find though lol. I got a list of what are all possible options...

Miata
    CRX
    MR2
    del Sol

Although the del Sol is definetly my least favorite. CRX and Miata probably easiest to find.

24. I think if you can get an MR2 you should get one. But drive with CAUTION. My friend had one and she crashed it 123485898278128 times. She was asian and a girl though so :hsugh: haha.

Get it if you really like them and LEARN to drive it good.

25. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

yeah MR2's arent a car you just jump into. fun when you get the hang of them.

can i ask something, if you want a DAILY DRIVER...what's with all the two seater choices?