mpeg file problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by imind, Oct 30, 2005.

1. imind

imind i am my own bitch

greetings.

i have an .mpeg whose video runs about 5-6 seconds ahead of the sound/sound runs about 5-6 seconds behind the video - whichever it is. are you aware of any way to fix this, and can i do it with something i don't have to purchase (ie shareware)?

this only happens with the one .mpeg.

i thank you in advance...

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

The problem is usually with the smacktard that encoded it. He/she didn't check to make sure it was a good file.
    You would need the source file(s) used to create it to be able to fix it.

You could try demuxing it and remuxing it.
    http://www.tmpgenc.net/
    After it's installed, go to File->MPEG Tools->Simple De-multiplex
    Select your file. The default is to save a .M1V and MP2 files in the same folder as the source.
    When it done, you can try either the Simple Multiplex select each video (M1V) and audio (MP2) file.
    Or you can use the Wizard (File->Project Wizard). Video-CD. Select the video audio files. Hit next until you get to where it ask you what file name, don't name it the same as the original.
    No promisses it'll work, but give a shot.

3. imind

imind i am my own bitch

thank you.

i will try this evening and report back

again, thanks.

4. imind

imind i am my own bitch

well, i was able to split them, but when it put them back together, the delay was still there. there's gotta be a way to mesh them so they "fit" properly. if you can think of anything else, please advise.

thank you for getting me as far as you did. i knew i was going to have to "split" them somehow, but wasn't sure it was possible. i'm going to consult with others who may know how to treat them as two separate files.

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

If it's off by a consistent amount, you could try remuxing them with that offset. There should be an option in whatever program you're using to set a 5 second offset (or whatever it is you need) on the sound.

6. imind

imind i am my own bitch

one would think but i can't find one on the app given above. i just downloaded sony media something or other but the trial version won't allow mpeg manipulation.