GUN MP5 stolen out of LEO vehicle in Co

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 4, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Assault Weapon Stolen From SWAT Team
    Sub-Machine Gun Stolen From Jeffco SWAT Member
    By Tyler Lopez, 7NEWS Reporter

POSTED: 7:09 pm MST February 28, 2007
    UPDATED: 12:27 pm MST March 1, 2007
    Email This Story | Print This Story
    LAKEWOOD, COLO. -- The Jefferson County SWAT team is missing a dangerous weapon -- a sub-machine gun capable of firing 30 rounds in less than three seconds.

A relaxing night out for SWAT team members last Wednesday ended with a vehicle break-in, and the disappearance of an HK MP5.

The thief or thieves also got away with ammunition, bulletproof vests and other tactical gear used by the SWAT team.

Jefferson County Sheriff Ted Mink told 7NEWS, "It happened. It's unfortunate. Hopefully, we can resolve it."

Lakewood police interviewed employees of Jackson's All-American Sports Grill at 675 Kipling and took interior surveillance tape from the restaurant.

So far, five persons of interest have been identified. One of those five has spoken with detectives.

The MP5 hasn't been sold in gun stores since the late 1980s, and is now only available to law enforcement.

The SWAT team member who had his car broken into is a 14-year veteran of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department and a four-and-a-half year veteran of the Special Weapons and Tactics squad.

He is not on leave and is using a replacement weapon.

Mink said SWAT officers often carry their weapons and tactical gear, in order to respond quickly to threats, such as the Platte Canyon High School shooting in September.

"And I would hate to be the person that says, 'Well, you go there but don't take your equipment. Or, leave your equipment at home,'" he added.

While it doesn't appear that the deputy was violating any policy, Mink told 7NEWS they will look at how the weapon was being stored in the vehicle to determine if any policy changes are warranted.

2. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I wonder if it was in plain view?

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:dunno: if there going to keep it in the vehicle they should atleast get a decent lockable holder, most of the time it sounds like the guns are just laying in the trunk or whatever.

4. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

:werd:

5. t1h

t1h Guest

it sucks, now the criminals have more firepower then i do

6. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I know here in Jax the officers don't get issued ar's until after they've had alarms installed in their cars, maybe CO should do the same.

7. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

Ya cop cars should have locks and alarms and trackable gps and all but cities, states, and counties don't want to pay for it.

8. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:eek3:

The cop cars where I'm from have an ar and a shotgun between the seats in the front. They are locked in.

9. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

Wouldnt be hard to find the release button.

10. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Most that I've seen take a key to unlock.

11. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

true but if something happens and you need the rifle you want to have easy access, not have to search through a keyring to get the rifle out. That being said they need to devise a way to store them that is both quick to access and doesn't involve a trunk as your only line of defense :mamoru:

12. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

You remember that meatlstorm preview on here a few years ago? How if that ring lost contact with the gun it went into safe mode? Wouldnt something like that work great for securing weapons in leo vehicles? Can only open the lock if one of the rings is touching it? or within 5 feet or whatever

13. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

All they need to do is ban anything that shoots 9mm or bigger, body armor, and ammunition, and the problem is solved! To bad they didn't already ban breaking into SWAT vehicles...

14. kalm823

kalm823 He who lives on hopes dies of starvation

All "smart gun" legislation has always exempted LEOs