mp4 files have audio sync issues in vista media center

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Nov 15, 2008.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

vista media center was working just fine...then all of a sudden mp4 files that are h.264 encoded seem to be off by a whole second. the audio seems to come after the video

seems to only happen with 720p+ stuff and only in vista media center and windows media player. i can play the files just fine in vlc

i'm running an e2200 with 2gigs of ram and 512mb nvidia 7600 card. it could handle even 1080p just fine, only using maybe 20% processor.

i'm using vista codec pack 5.0.2 and i have the latest video card drivers

2. dorkultra

dammit, i just had this all setup as i wanted. i knew i should have ghosted an image yesterday! i think i might just start over with a fresh install. here goes another 3 hours

3. dorkultra

ok, what the fuck. just reformatted. same fucking problem. gotta be a codec problem with windows media player

wouldn't it make more sense if windows included the required codecs to play xvids and mp4 files by default?

4. dorkultra

ok, reformatted once again. this time i installed the k-lite codec ultimate pack.

still having issues with h.264 720p files. works fine in vlc, has audio sync issues in media player 11, media player classic, and vista media center.

i also switched to just using a headphone jack for audio (previous was toslink optical), but still having same problem

i guess i can deal with it and just transcode everything to mp4 without h.264 and download different podcasts...what a pain in the ass. it was working fine a few days ago.

when you open a video, it the video will play very quickly for the first second, then resume normal speed and the audio will start. seems to happen in media center, media player 11, and media player classic