mp3 quality vs cd quality

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GuOD, Apr 14, 2005.

1. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

If I were listening to my CD at home, and then I ripped it to a 192k mp3, would I hear a quality difference between the 2? On a computer with an audigy 2 zs, and logitech speakers.

2. JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo

JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo Live Free or Die

not really, unless you are listening really really closely

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You need fairly high-end stuff and good ears to hear a difference. With computer speakers, you'll probably never be the wiser. That isn't to say of course, that it won't sound different between your computer speakers and the way the cd sounded on your home stereo, but that's mostl ydue to the speakers not the cd vs. mp3.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i can hear the difference on my speakers, its annoying if im paying attention

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I can hardly tell on some speakers, but not most. Its mostly the highs that I can tell on, and it makes me really angry at times... When that happens I just turn it up, and go into another room to listen, then I can't tell.

6. 04

04 Guest

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1707221&highlight=abx

It's easy to find out if you can hear a difference. You can download a program called winabx http://www.kikeg.arrakis.es/winabx/ and compare a wave file (which is extracted cd audio to your computer) to mp3. It is a double blind comparison and allows you to compare for yourself without outside biases. Programs such as this were what was used to develop the codecs in the first place, as sighted listening comparisons (where the person knows what he is listening to) are often unreliable.

Note that the mp3 encoder in question will also determine if you can hear a difference between 192kbit mp3 and the CD. A high quality encoder such as LAME will probably be undetectable from the source CD on most music with a bitrate of 192kbits, even on extremely high end audio gear with people with good hearing. However, with a poor quality encoder, it might be a large difference.

7. Zemo

Zemo n00b of the year

The program and settings used to rip, and the codec and settings used to encode will play a role in if the mp3 is up to the CD standards. Given an abx test on over $100k of stereo and headphone equiptment, by 7 trained sets of ears (my own, two others from my studio, and 4 guys that own and operate their own hi-fi store), the best and most space effective way is to rip your CD's with Exact Audio Copy on secure mode, with the read offset corrected, and a few other settings enabled (no C2 correction, etc). Encode with Lame 3.90.3 at --alt-preset standard. This will give you VBR mp3's around 200kB/s, and an aurally lossless transcode.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

9. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

just rip it in higher quality :o

10. 911turboscabriolet

911turboscabriolet New Member

rip it in 320 kbps you wont notice any difference but you wont be able to fit more than 80 songs or so on a cd compared to like 200+ on a cd at other formats.

11. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

are you trying to make your join date obvious? Not to mention he won't notice a difference usually past 192 anyway.

12. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Rip them just like Zemo said, thats considered the audiophile type MP3. You could also use --alt-preset-extreme and you WONT be able to tell any difference between original CD and MP3, even on high end equipment.

Standard ripping even at 320K is not as effective as using lame's smarter --alt-preset algorithms, and mine average about 200K with the above method.

13. johnmalkow

johnmalkow New Member

My mp3 files are at least 192 Kbps Quality,and I have 320 Kbps mp3 files but I still believe that I can hear the difference between Mp3 and Cd-Audio at 192 Kbps...But at 320 Kbps there is no difference I can hear...