MP3 player

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 4W4K3, Mar 22, 2005.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

OK, it's almost my birthday and i REALLY have been wanting an mp3 player or a portable radio. Problem is, most mp3 players suck for functionality (use AA batteries, limited memory, boring) and same for portable radios.

I want an EXPANDABLE mp3 player (meaning it takes SD cards or some for of memory expandability and i can put as much stuff as i want on it). BUT i HATEEEEE buying batteries...so it needs to be lithium-ion or some form of rechargable battery.

The big one...i can't really spend more than $100. That leaves me with...err...no options? I have looked all day and can't find a single mp3 player that meets all 3 of these specifications.

However, i have found ONE that is VERY close...and i want to knwo what you think.

http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp3310.html#_specs
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-602-102&depa=0

it uses SmartMedia, SD/MMC, Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro (Blue version), Compact Flash Type I/ II, IBM MicroDrive and its lithium ion, and under $100. problem is it has 0MB built-in...so i gotta get a memory card or a laptop HDD. i really don't mind waiting say a month and then getting a laptop HDD for it...what do you think?

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/38...:MA IN_RSLT_PG
    cheapest drive i can find right now, and it suppsoedly works with ANY 9.5mm 2.5" HDD. 20GB is plenty for me...but si there a cheaper say 10GB?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do *NOT* get a 5400RPM drive. It will be no faster in your mp3 player, and it will drain your battery and generate too much heat. You're much better with a 4200RPM drive.

6. quasar

quasar New Member

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

never thought of that. 2mb buffer should be fast enough for saving files and listening to music i guess. it runs on 2 lithium ion batteries, but im thinking they only last ~6hrs.

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

not hardly. runs on AAA batteries, no can do. not to mention a 512MB SD card costs as much as a 40GB HDD, easy decision. i dont think u can put more than a 1.0GB ard in the expasnion slot anyways.

9. quasar

quasar New Member

after looking at it a little longer, i've decided i dont like it either

i've been trying to find something smaller than my zen xtra for running :o

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

yah its a little big, probably jsut fits inside my trench pocket. but size isn't really an issue for me. if only there was another player that had these features and was unnder $100:( but i cant find any others.

11. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

you don't want an xdrive-pro for an mp3 player. I have one I used in europe to store photos from my digicam on. Works great for that. MP3 functionality however... lacking at best. Sound quality is poor, battery life sucks, and it's just physically too big to be used as an MP3 player.

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

lol i thought this had died. i have taken up more extensive research and found out the battery life can get to as short as 2hrs for this x-drive. htta won't do at all.

im hoping to collect some extra money (orjsut wait longer) and get a Creative player. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=55-102-127&depa=0
    like that one.

13. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

the zen is a fairly good player from what I've heard. The x-drive is great, as a portable hard drive for storing photos. As an mp3 player however, it's pretty crappy.