MP3 Player Suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Divine Vengeance, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

I'm looking at getting a new mp3 player for christmas ( for myself of course :p ). I don't think an iPod will work for me because of the price, however if it's what I need, I'll consider it.

What I'm looking for:
    > 30 gb+ storage
    > OGG Vorbis compatibility
    > Smaller-sized (I have a Creative Nomad II now, its rather large)
    > USB or Firewire
    > etc.

I saw an RCA player while browsing at Circuit City, it was like $300 for a 40gb player. I didn't stop to look at it in detail, so any info on that player in particular would be nice. Thanks for the help!

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'm a fan of the Archos gear. Not sure if you've looked at what they have. I don't believe they've added OGG support (and I know their MP3 support is driven by a coded ROM so changing or upgrading the playback seen as being possible). The harddrives are upgradable and you can get an open source OS to replace Archos' (which I highly recommend - but if you want to do this, check out which models support it first). As for size, the Archos player I have works great for me, but maybe you'd think its too big. Dunno, your mileage may vary.

I haven't had a chance to play with an iPod, but I don't really have this urge to either.

3. Divine Vengeance

Hmm, I'll have to look into those. Upgradable harddrives and a replaceable OS sound very interesting.

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Here's the link for the open source OS:

http://rockbox.haxx.se/

Its called Rockbox. They've done some slick stuff (like added games and demos as well as some nice functionality as stereo controls, remapped the setup keys, etc). I've got the 20gb Jukebox FM/Recorder and their flash ROM works awesome (instead of taking 30 seconds to boot, it now takes a few seconds or however long the spin up time of the hard drive is).

You can go here (same site) for a small selection of mods you can do:

http://rockbox.haxx.se/mods/

You'll find some directions on swapping a drive out of the Archos 6000 (I had one till it was stolen). If you're crazy into the mods (I'm not) you can find directions on swapping out the LEDs (search google for Archos and mods), making remotes, adding RAM, etc.

5. Divine Vengeance

nifty, thanks man.