MP3 Player Code: Spectrum Analyzer - VB.NET

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CodeX, Jul 5, 2008.

1. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Ok so yesterday I wrote an MP3 player just because I thought it would be a cool exercise and it's more or less done, all the core functionality is there it even supports multiple playlists and the ability to modify the ID3 tag data and all that stuff... but it's missing one thing, the spectrum analyzer.

I don't feel much like writing this from scratch, though I guess thats an option if there isnt a better way, but I was just wondering if anyone new of a free resource to quickly add a winamp style spectrum analyzer to a .NET project.

Along those same lines, I am brand new to Visual Basic and .NET programming so is there any really good resource for getting free code snippits or components or whatever you want to call them?

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Oh yeah it also desperately needs a face lift lol, I am not creative at all and just kind of slapped all the controls together, any ideas to make this look better? I would love to learn how to make an application skinnable. I've been up all night doing this lol this is basically my "Hellow World" program for VB.NET

[​IMG]

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's why I could never be a real programmer; I don't have the drive to do shit just to see if I can. I'd much rather download WinAmp instead, and write code that hasn't been written before.

Speaking of which, I imagine the AmaroK source code would be helpful.

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Well some people choose to learn by reading books, I choose to learn but just muddling my way through it and figuring it out, I've been doing it since I was a little kid lol. I know there is no use for this, no one in their right mind would use it over the dozens of other free media players, but just the 6 or so hours I have spent on it have taught me so much, like I said this is the first time I have ever written in VB, I needed to learn it and .NET for my job so I thought wtf ill make an mp3 player lol

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

honestly, that's a great way to learn. you can learn a lot by doing something that no one else has done, but when you are starting out it is much more enlightening to try to do something and then see how others have done it too. then, if you get stuck you can refer to others for ideas.

6. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

youre LOL'ing pretty good over there dude

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

What do you mean? I say lol a lot? Yeah blame it on WoW, its like half of the average WoW players vocabulary

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I (almost) hate to be the dick that says so, but this forum is...strangely...more pleasant lately...as if a great dark cloud has lifted. I wonder what it could be.