mp3 hiding virus

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by killaGTP, Oct 17, 2005.

1. killaGTP

killaGTP Holden poser Moderator

So i go to play some mp3s and i open up my folder and only 51 are in there instead of the about 1300 there should be. i open up winamp and since i had them all in my playlist, they still play like the files are still there. I can't see the files at all in explorer. any ideas on whats going on and how i can fix it? i hope i didn't just lose all those files.

2. krondo

krondo New Member

can you see the files if you go into winamp and click add files? or are they still not there?

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Control Panel->Folder Options->View
    Make sure that Hidden Files and Folder is set to 'Show hidden files and folder'
    If no change, also uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files'.

Of course in WinAmp you can make sure that is the folder they are suppost to be in. Select one of the files that you can't see but can play and press ALT+3 to show file info, which yes of course you can also edit the ID3 tag but also should show were the file is.

4. killaGTP

killaGTP Holden poser Moderator

it wasn't cause they were hidden. and winamp couldn't see them in its file loader. file info still showed them in that folder. it turns out my HD is on its way out. ran chkdsk and it recovered them all. time to chunk this hd.

5. krondo

krondo New Member

sucks

6. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Has anyone ever herad of virusus in MP3 files? I seen some in .jpeg's.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Start->Search->Files and Folders->*.mp3 in My Computer, including hidden and system files.

It's possible, though unlikely, that they actually did all get wiped off your komp. The tables of contents on hard disks don't last forever. I've had files start disappearing shortly before my Windows went to shit and I had to reformat.