SRS Moving to California vs. Going to a state university?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by schmitty101, Mar 22, 2010.

1. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

Please OT, help me decide on this major life decision.

I'm tired of my life. I'm so fucking sick of where I am and how things are going and it's really time I made changes. I NEED to move away from my parents house and really find out who I am and gain my independence. I think the major source of my problems is that I never did anything during or after high school. It's like I never came out of my shell. I just continued to live a sheltered existence fighting with my parents and feeling miserable every single day. This is no way to live. I can't even get a girlfriend or get laid as long as i'm here. I've got this shitty attitude that follows me around because ultimately I know have to go back home at the end of the night. There is nothing here for me in this town. Nothing but bad memories of a violent and abusive childhood and failed social life. I have no friends and my only relationship (with my brother) is dwindling. So either by fall this year or next spring I WILL be gone. I have narrowed it down to 2 options:

1. Move to California next spring.

This is very tempting because I hear that about the great weather and nice people. I would stay at home and attend paramedic training until December and then I would move there by spring. I did research and I can support myself on a paramedic salary. This option seems great because I would move thousands of miles away from this area and would basically have no choice but to find a way to make it on my own there. I think that doing this would allow me to grow personally and maybe meeting people and making friends would be easier. I have this vision of myself as becoming mentally satisfied and "free" if I moved out there.

2. Go to a state university this fall/next spring

Not very tempting. I mean it would be logical so that I can get my bachelors degree but otherwise I don't know how this would go. It just doesn't "seem" like it would help me grow as much as option number one. Either way, after school I would plan on moving to California regardless, so it's like I might as well just go now. Then again I feel like I would be missing out by not trying the college life.

Ultimately, I would like to be a firefighter. Getting a bachelors is certainly not a requirement and it is something I can do while I am working for a fire department. This is a big decision for me and I am definitely picking one option and sticking with it.

I would love input here since I really don't have anyone else to consult with.

2. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

If you move, get a job there first. Trust me on this one, I've been there, no job, hard.

3. schmitty101

I'll do my best. I guess the best thing to do would be to fill out an application online and then have a phone interview? Otherwise from what I understand a paramedic shouldn't have trouble finding a job.

4. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

The people in CA aren't any nicer. Why do you need to ask us what you want to do with your life?

5. schmitty101

Sometimes hearing a third party perspective can be helpful.

6. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

If you are trying to find a new job I would not move to CA right now.

7. CalicoJackie

CalicoJackie New Member

It's damn hot here in the summer time. 115 degrees sound tempting?
    Oh, and a lot of apartment complexes lack air conditioning in the metropolitan areas.
    I grew up here and can't wait to get out.
    If I were you I'd go to Austin Texas.

8. schmitty101

Anyone else?

9. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

while i love living here, its pricy. really really pricy. not to be nosey, but what would your salary be as a paramedic?

10. schmitty101

Around $30,000

11. friednanners

friednanners Sliver Member

...go to school in california? Later in life you may regret not getting a bachelor's degree.

12. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

You won't be able to live here comfortably on that salary.

And I agree with texas instead.

13. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

yeah, you will be miserable on the salary. If you get a job.

14. teo

teo . => ? => !

Your problems will still follow you if you don't shift your attitude. I agree that a change of scene would probably help you with that, but if you fall back into your same old ways you'll have the same-shit-different-pile thing going on.

Do you have some savings? If so, why aren't you moving out now? If not, how do you expect to float while you get yourself established?

15. schmitty101

Ok, so far all i'm getting from this thread is that moving to California would be a big mistake. I double checked the paramedic salaries out there and it's actually more like $35-40,000/year. I even spoke with a counselor about it today and she didn't mention a word of negativity about the idea. She recommended that I write out all my options (California, go to university, go to university in California) and then list pros and cons to each one. We made a follow up appointment so she can help me decide after I make the list. She also wanted to talk to me about a few other personal problems I mentioned. I actually got along with her better than the other counselors so maybe I can work with her and get some much needed help?

Like mentioned above, I think the drastic change and freedom will help alter my attitude.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  16. 2397

2397 OT Supporter

"Wherever you go, there you are"

17. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

the unemployment is 12.5% here and they're cutting ALL public services currently.

18. schmitty101

I understand. However, most paramedics work for private ambulances and from some research it seems that I should be able to find a job within a month.

19. 2397

2397 OT Supporter

:hs: read the responses again

20. johan

johan Active Member

You're getting plenty of perspective. But let's be honest here.

What you really want, is to move to Cali, that much is plain.

What you were hoping to get was a lot of positive support that Cali would be a great idea, and you'd magically shift your life's ills by hopping on a jet plane, don't know when you'll be back again, so long crappy life, hello sunshine and babes.

Sound about right?

But the harsh reality of what you'll likely find has been pointed out to you be several posters....

Get a job. Secure that. A degree is a good idea too. Ultimately, securing your future will lead to greater, and longer, more satisfying happiness.

Plenty of desperation in the golden state too, you know.

A paramedic making $40k and living in a dumpy 1 bedroom in Bakersfield, eating Taco Bell 5 nights a week...doesn't sound like a recipe for a happy life either.

21. schmitty101

I definitely plan on securing a degree. I may apply to UCLA or UCSD and just move out there as a student living on campus. Or i may just move out there and apply to fire departments until I got hired...they earn around $100K plus you can go to school part time to earn you degree. Either way works for me.

$35-40K may not allow me to live glamorously, I understand that. Really what this is about is me leaving my house and gaining independence. I'm literally cooped up in a house all day with my family who I don't get along with....and that HAS to change before I blow my brains out. Like I said earlier, there is nothing in this town for me except constant reminders of a failed life. It just feels like as long as i'm here I will be miserable. I don't want to come home for Christmas and be around these people. If I moved I would have an excellent excuse for not being here when the holidays roll around.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  22. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

just be aware that that salary wont let you live that much of a life. CA is expensive, and you might be living in a city in CA just like the city you live in now to be able to afford rent.

that said, dont forget that you still are in control of your life and your own happiness. if you thinking moving to CA will make your life better, then do it, but realize that YOU have to make an effort to make it better too, its not going to get better all on its own. a huge change in attitude is needed by you for that to be accomplished.

23. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

But on that salary, you will be cooped up with strangers you likely dont get along wtih. :hs:

24. Mint

Mint Active Member

What would you major in college?
    Let me tell you one thing, unless you move into on campus housing, or move in with several other students near a school, you wont get that "college life" experience you're seeking for.

You go to college for a degree, not the life experience either. If you're majoring in something worth its salt, and are there for the experience not the education you'll fail. If you get some degree in a useless major without grad school (anything ending in ology) you'll be in debt after college, and it wont help with a job.

Most of California is NOT 115*, it completely depends where you're moving. For the most part, CA has some of the best weather in the country.
    San Diego is beautiful, Orange County is cool, LA is cool

The people are not any nicer. But this state beats the shit out of any other state, for sure. Like others suggested find a job BEFORE you move here. Like everywhere else, jobs are hard to come by at the moment.

I'm not sure why youre life is as big a piece of shit you think it is. But if its because of drugs, alcohol, etc. Moving will help but it wont if you end up meeting the same type of druggy low lifes again.
    Make friends who will make something of themselves (likely to be found at college) also unless you have good grades, you won't get into UCSD or UCLA.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  25. schmitty101

I plan on majoring in public administration/public relations/history. I have a 3.5 GPA so I think I will get accepted. Fire departments don't care if you have a bachelors degree. It would simply be something for me to fall back on in case the fire department doesn't work out.