WEB Moving servers, how difficult to transfer cpanel accounts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by subwoofer, Jan 20, 2010.

1. subwoofer

subwoofer OT Supporter

I have a managed VPS a company I want to stop using.

Server a day has a great deal today, but they are unmanaged servers. I am thinking of purchasing one, just curious how hard is it to transfer all over my accounts from the vps to the new server.

I've never done it, usually had the hosting company take care of it in the past. Is it as simple as using the whm interface or is it more complex?

I'm pretty sure I can handle it, just don't want to fuck myself lmao

2. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

If you have root it's very easy, just use the cpanel account transfer scriptin WHM

If you have any accounts >1GB in size though, you're probably better off generating a full account backup from cPanel, and then copying to the server, place it in /home and then running '/scripts/pkgrestore username' (where username = the cpanel account username that you're restoring)

3. twenty

twenty resident nerd

Super easy!

4. Audioholic

Audioholic New Member

Moved about 5k sites over the year from 2mb to 5gb, sites over 1gb are really no longer an issue in cPanel 11+

Biggest thing to make sure is that your sites that you are moving FROM have double the diskspace as the account is actually using on that server so if you have a site using 300MB of space make sure it has a quota of 600mb or more so that when it packages the account it has room to create the archive.

The one other thing is if this is a very old vps which might still be using MBOX make sure you upgrade to maildir before doing the transfer. cPanel will do it automatically during the transfer but is not that reliable in my experience.