SRS Moving out of Iowa, but don't know where to start.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Corky, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Corky

Corky I lent Jesus $20

I'm 20. I'm what I would call a alt-hippy. I'm pretty chill and laid back, but I'm not all peace and love. I have a general disdain for the masses. I watch the news, but shake my head. I smoke, but have never touched cigarettes. No piercings, tats, or broken bones. I used to dye my hair red and pink.

I went to college at Iowa State University, a short two hours from my small town home. My parents split up early in life, and I bore the brunt of most of my brothers supervision. I held a job from the day I turned 14 until the day I left for college. I was with the same girl through all of high school. I also was the editor of my school newpaper, was involved in improv comedy troupes, and played my soul out in jazz band. I've always had a passion for music. I go to shows weekly. My current mp3 collection is 60 gigs.

I'm now leaving Iowa State. I don't fit here. It's too dreary, too Iowa. I was a journalism major, but I want out of the machine. I'll become what I hate if I become a journalist. I've been to lots of shows lately, bands like moe and yonder mountain. I fit in at these places. Smart people who do smart things, like not care what the world thinks. And make music.

I'm done with the midwest and all it has to offer. This summer, after this semester is over, I'm going to enter a mentorship in the recording industry. I've always been the guy that adjusted people's stereos and fixed peoples computers. I may not be a rockstar, but I want to help them make the best music that they can. The catch is that I can do it anywhere I want in the US. Maybe even Canada.

So, I come to you OT. I have no huge life experiences. I have only a small handful of real friends, friends worth the trip home. My close family is shattered, and doesn't warrent me sticking around. So where should I go? I'm young, I'm abitious, and I want to see everything I can. I won't have any bills. My parent's have vowed to finish off my car payments and help while I'm still learning. I'm baggage free. I want to start living, like a real person. All I need is a job that covers the cost of a place to live in any city. What should I do to start my life?

- cliffs - starting life over, but in a good way. Need some help from people with experience.

2. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

3. teo

teo . => ? => !

Before you choose where you want to go, maybe take a backpacking trip out of the States and experience how people in other countries live their lives. Travelling is a good chance to gain perspective and reflect on what is really important to you. I know for me, it wasn't what I thought it would be. You may find that it gives you purpose and drive where you had none before.

4. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:rofl: you remind me of me (somewhat :p )

i used to be your neighbor ;). i lived in omaha, nebraska for 20 years of my life until i moved to orlando, florida 3 years ago. we differ in that i moved to finish school. the university i attend is one of, if not the, best for my program of study in the united states.

:wtc: i'm disappointed that you are tired of what the midwest has to offer. i will tell you this... regardless of what you do, please hold on to your midwestern upbringing. you sound like a nice guy. believe me, we need more of you out there. :)

i've traveled A LOT, both inside and outside the united states. when i moved to florida, i was floored by how downright rude, inconsiderate, and selfish people are here. there is no sense of community imo. oh sure, the news likes to brag about how people act nice when there's a hurricane or 4, and that's great and all, but then there's the flip side that many don't acknowledge...;) 99.9% of the people didn't even know their neighbors until the hurricane(s) :ugh: :dunno: people are different, but i think that's important.

i will tell you this... don't move because you're looking to get rid of problems. your baggage WILL follow you. i suggest you check places out before you decide on moving. take a week long trip and scour the area, employment, and cost of living to see if you can see yourself there.

:)

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

my brother's in the music industry in LA and it's FUCKING HARD to break in, he has a degree in Music Industry from USC even, and he's having a hard time finding a decent job. he has a job but it's kinda :ugh:

I'm w/ chica.. baggage will follow and it's a LOT harder to make new friends than you may think even in cities like LA and NYC.

6. Corky

Corky I lent Jesus $20

But I'm not running from anything. I'm running toward things.

I'm only thinking positive here. I enjoyed high school, and have friends at college. I'm just ready to try something totally new and different. I want to be able to go to clubs. I want to see music every day. I want more opportunities than small town midwest.

I know this job is going to be hard, but remember I wanted to a journalist - I've never expected steady income. Honestly, I'm financially secure enough right now to only need a job that covers living expenses, like rent and food. Car-insurance is paid for.

I need a start. I need a city. I need to figure out where I want to live. I'm thinking San Fransico. I've never seen an ocean. I know housing is expensive, but I think a guy has to be able to find a cheap place with a roomie or two and a decent part time job, right?

Maybe Seatle. I've thouht a lot about Vancouver, as well.....see, how do you just decide something like this?

7. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

This is what I miss about the midwest. I used to live in Marshalltown, Iowa, about 30 minutes away from the Iowa State campus.My brother actually graduated from there. :mamoru: I live in Houston now, and I really miss my friends and how it was back then.

If you're going to move to a big city, you will have to get used to the fast paced lifestyle. I :love: my old small town in Iowa.

8. broman

broman Guest

You might really like Austin. You can definitely see music every day, usually several times over. It's not as expensive as the coasts but has a great music/poetry scene, and the general level of education is very high.

Sounds like you're at a good point in your life to see how you like some of these places.

9. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

word, austin has everything. Kinda small, but still sorta has big city life. It isnt expensive as California. Lots of college kids.