SRS Moving out for the first time...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Redsand426, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Redsand426

Redsand426 Active Member

Kind of nervous. I'm 21, found an apartment (sign papers tomorrow) and will be living on my own. I don't know anybody in the area. I might be getting a second job and working 80hrs/week until I have enough money to quit work and go to school full time. If that happens, then I wont have much to worry about as all my time will be taken up anyway.

Otherwise I'll just be working a regular 40-50hr and save as much as possible for school.

I could still live with my parents, but I hate it here. My friends are boring too. Just looking to get away from all of them. Am I doing the right thing?

2. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Definitely :)

Everyone should have a place they enjoy coming home to

3. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Yes but I don't think your social life should suffer by working 80 hours a week, you're too young you'll miss out on a lot by working that much. Go to community college or take out loans a degree is a degree man doesn't really matter where you go or how much you paid for it.

4. oakback

oakback New Member

Don't sacrifice your schooling in order to have more of a social life. You have your whole life to make friends. There's nothing wrong with hard work, though 80 can be a bit much.

Congrats on cutting the cord!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  5. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

and

6. Redsand426

Redsand426 Active Member

Signed the papers today and I'm way excited! Getting out of here on Monday for good and I think I'll be much happier. I don't plan to work 80/hrs a week for the rest of my life, just for a year or so to save up a bunch of dough. Thanks for the comments.

7. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

No offense dude, but you can't expect to work 80 hours a week for that long. You'll get burned out and end up miserable.

But living on your own really is great. I used to live on my own but moved back in my my mom for school and I cannot WAIT until I can get back on my own.

8. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

oh thats not bad do what you gotta do, find an under the table job if you can :bigthumb:

meh he's young I could've done that at his age

9. 7960

7960 New Member

I did it for 3 years so i could save up money for school.

He doesn't have to do it for "that long"........just long enough to save the money.

Good luck, have fun. Moving out is scary as shit but also tons of fun.

10. Unspun

Unspun New Member

Eh, I agree that working 80 hours is going to burn you out, not only in the social area of your life but also your academic one. You should probably get used to your routine before you pick up an extra load. I wouldn't worry about the lack of friends, you'll always have the chance to pick up study buddies at school (for me they always turned into life long friends)

I totally disagree with the loans unless you've got the mindset that you are ABSOLUTELY going to finish because trust me; those loans will come back to haunt you in a major way if you end up quitting.