Moving OS from IDE to SATA...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stilgar1973, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I have WXP currently installed on an IDE drive.
    I purchased a SATA drive. I want to move the OS to that SATA drive.

Will a normal ghosting (and subsequently fixing the BOOTCNFG file) be all I need to do? Or am I going to be forced into reinstalling the OS?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

As long as Windows has the drivers for the SATA installed before the swap, it should boot up OK after ghosting. Worst case, you can repair Windows which will make it work without having to do a full reinstall.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i ghosted my ide drive to my sata drive without a problem. i thought windows would give me the blue-wedon'tlikeyournewhardwaresobuyanotherlicense-screen
    but it didn't.

any tips on how to solve that problem btw? i had to reformat after installing a new mobo a while back, throwing in the windows cd and doing a repair didn't fix it.

4. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I am assuming you have a legitmate copy of windows.

Yes I know it says you need to purchase a new license. Ignore that. Do the following anyways:

Choose to activate. Choose to activate over the telephone. Dial in the 64 digit number and get the person from India on the phone.
    He will ask if you have ever activated before. Tell him yes. He will ask how many computers you have this key installed on, tell him one.
    He will then give you a new 64 digit number. Once you put that in you are gold.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

yes, i have legit copy of windows, actually several legit copies (free through college :bowdown:)

the problem is that if you have windows installed on a drive and change the motherboard, at least what i've seen with several computers, is that windows will load up to the first windows screen, the one just after the bootloader that has the white tracking on the bottom. then it will bluescreen on you, some kind of illegal error

running the repair from the windows cd doesn't work. it will do this with xp pro, xp pro sp1 and sp2. but not windows 2000 obviously

it never gets to the activation screen, that seems to be only with xp home