Moving music causes it to skip/corrupt?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trlc463, Mar 22, 2007.

1. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

So recently, my OS crashed on me, so I bought another hard drive (internal), put all of my files (including music) on there, then wiped original hard drive, and am now using that.

However, when opening music files on second hard drive, I've found that most (if not all) of them skip!
    I have also tried pulling them on the HD that I am using, and still find that they skip.
    I used MediaMonkey and WMP to open the files and they still skip.

Is what happened to my HD the cause of the skipping?
    Is there any way to fix this?

2. Synner

Synner New Member

It could be. Maybe when the OS crashed, it corrupted the data on the drive? Just because it's on the new drive doesn't mean the original data didn't get fucked up.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

are you sure in the reload you didn't install something that causes the computer to do something on a regular basis?

i turned on indexing and every 15 seconds or so the computer would hiccup for less than a 1/2 second, but it was enough to make music "skip"... did you turn on indexing? Is your virus scanner checking your HD every so often? Anti-spam/trojan/adware software?

Open your music player and start a song...does it skip in the same place every time? While that's running open the task manager and click on processes tab, then click the CPU header (not mem usage!) to get the CPU intensive shit at the top. Is something jumping up every time there's a skip?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This suggests that the table of contents on the old disk is damaged and files aren't being copied properly as a result of the new computer not knowing where the data really sits on the old disk.

That is, assuming it's not a priority issue like 7960 suggests.

5. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

you're right :wtc::wtc:

most of my music, along with some pictures got f*cked up in the process
    and I tried image recovery but they won't come back :wtc: