Moving from a rural area with DSL to a gated apartment complex w/ cable.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PC Principle, Aug 15, 2006.

1. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Right now due to my location all I am able to get is Embarq DSL. But I should be moving into an apartment by the 9th of next month and they offer both Embarq high-speed and Brighthouse cable. What would be better to get based on location and circumstances? There will be 3 of us with computers in the apartment (using wireless routers?) and I am more concerned about ping times then download speed. What would be the best bet?

2. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Also will a wireless network throughout the apartment make it able for all three of us to play an online game at the same time with a decent ping?

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

4. BOTLD92Z

BOTLD92Z OT Supporter

I have brighthouse cable and even with me and my parents on the computer at the same time we have no issues. Typically I can download a movie via bittorrent in the background @ 200-300kb/sec, I limit the upload to 40kb/sec (it's 1mbit up and I usually actually get close to 2mbit up), have my mom using her laptop, my dad using the other desktop and I can play COD2 without a problem. Still get a 30-50 ping dependent on location.

I love my cable and have for almost ten years. Always been great service for me.