A&P Moving camera crew- 35mm adapters?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Necromancer, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

So me and a friend are making 35mm adapter to fit Nikon lenses on a panasonic SD1.

We're going to use macro tubes that connect to the lense, a focus screen on a lense ring, more rings, and then a few step downs to get to a 43mm male to fit the SD1. I'm also fabricating a mount to support the lense to the camera.

Anything I should consider?

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

you should consider buying a canon

3. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

It's my friends choice on the camera, the XL1 and 2 is cool with the interchangeable lenses but I don't like the way they make things look and neither does he I think.

:dunno:

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

are you talking about making a DOF machine? because a lens on top of a non removable lens is only going to make your image worse.

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I guess you've never seen the outcome of lense adapters on HVX/DVX/DVX100 etc. It looks amazing with the shallow DoF.

6. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

examples of images you hope to produce?

7. E-dub

E-dub New Member

????

Try putting a 14mm 2.8L on an XL1. Or a 24mm 1.4L. I guarantee it will look 200x better than whatever you guys are trying to jerryrig.

They way you are talking about doing it sounds straight up retarded, in for said examples of doing this.

8. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Expensive high end unit for a panasonic hvx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfJ2ZOfbx-Y

Here is a pretty good explanation on how to make a static Dof adapter-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivErUHl-Yo&mode=related&search=

Our design is a little more though out and will be more sturdy. We'll be using lense ring step downs instead of pvc pipe and macrotubes to connect the lense to the rings as well as correct dimensions so we don't get vignetting. I don't believe we'll be shooting in HD so a vibrating DoF adapter won't be necessary.

Here's some examples-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0qr4n90n4A&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAaJCQppw9U&mode=related&search=

This is done with a very cheap canon + 35mm lense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4QiTHRQbfA&mode=related&search=

As you can, it gives digital a warm film look.

9. E-dub

E-dub New Member

So the idea is to overcome the lack of DOF in the tiny lenses normally supplied with digital camcorders, correct? While this would work, it seems to me that the image quality is going to be terrible if blown up (and we are looking at compressed You Tube videos so case in point). As for the "warm film" look, this is probably more due to 24fps and post processing/lighting rather than the film itself or the fact that the whole contraption adds so much blur to sharp highlights that it looks almost like a diffusing filter everywhere. I guess it would work well for flashbacks but for high quality video, I'd have to see this on a larger display, uncompressed.

10. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I will get you uncompressed raw video, I have to get the links from my friend.

That diffusion look is because they haven't experiemented enough with the adapter and length from the camera lense to the focus screen and then to the 35mm slr lense. It's cause some vignetting but when you see the professional adapters, they are crystal clear. It has a very epic feel to it.

We were going to use them on a movie I work on but having three HVX's fitted with proper adapters and getting the correct shots would have taken forever.

11. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

so yes it is a dof machine and not just a 'lens adapter'.

12. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

in which case yes it is useful for effect, but dont use it all the time, it will cripple your image

13. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

If you want to call it a machine, :hsughno:

14. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2007
  15. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

16. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

okay your camera:

image -> lens -> sensor

with the 'adapter'

images -> shitty lens -> possible light leaks -> projected on a focusing screen -> light reflections inside -> filter -> your already shitty lens focusing at its closest macro setting -> sensor.

:hsugh: :eek3: :ugh:

also something that they dont mention is that the fumes from a lot of those glues can do damage to glass, so make sure it dries 100% before test fitting on either lens.

dickhead.

17. E-dub

E-dub New Member

Agreed. The Acer one loaded for me and it is not as quality as I was hoping for. The canada file would not load.

18. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

:o

I'm using no glues what so ever. Nikon 50mm 1.3f lense>macrotube>lense ring w/ screen>more rings>58 to 43mm step down ring>camera.

No light leaks and if there is I'll just use some gaffers tape or something and I don't know if you've already had experience with an SD1, they focus extremely well at extremely close objects.

19. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

It's just an extremely low depth of field that is more commonly found on older film cameras and higher end digitals.

:o

20. redna

redna New Member

Hmm... I'm going to have to look into this a little more. I really like the style. Although I agree that it will probably deteriorate the image quality, i think it definitely has its place. It's like grain... some people bitch about it, some people really like it. Or bokeh...

I'd be curious what it would do with my HD cam..

Also, would it not be beneficial to use a fully manual lens so that you could control the dof with the aperture?

21. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

If you are going to be shooting, you need a vibrating Dof adapter. HD will pick up the grain in the focusing screen so that small vibration will get rid of that as well as little bits of dust and such. I've got a pdf of quite that, a vibrating 35mm DoF adapter. Easy build.

Reword your question, I don't quite understand it.

22. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

yes it would.

23. redna

redna New Member

Could you please email me that .pdf file? it's [email protected]

I was simply stating that the style was preferred by some, not by others.

The manual lens question was referring more to some of the DIY adapters that I've seen built using AF zoom lenses and such. I figured it out though.

Thanks

24. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest