SRS Moving away. How realistic is it...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by korverftw, Jul 9, 2009.

1. korverftw

korverftw New Member

I'm 21 and will graduate from college in Utah with a B.A. in about a year and a half. I'm not especially happy here, and have been dying for years to move by myself to the east coast and kind of start over. Either NYC or somewhere close but more affordable (New Jersey, Connecticut, whatever). Life is short and I want to actually live my dreams instead of being an old man who has a million regrets.

How realistic is this? Right now I'm unemployed so I can't save, but I have $11k saved up to move out whenever I'm ready. I know I should probably double that. Do I find a job first then find a place to move there? Do I move there first, live off of savings for a bit while I look for a job?

It just seems like a lot of the time I make big plans for stuff and don't follow throw for whatever reason (Parents, time, money, blablabla) but this is something I want. I have some dough and I need to make it happen.

2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

:rofl: affordable and those places you named don't compute I suggest you do a lot of research b/c east coast is not cheap if you want to own a house in a nice area. South NJ has plenty of affordable apartments probably looking at $900-1000/mo for a decent area and you'll be close to NYC, Philly, and beaches...its a pretty accessible area. In these times I'd find a job first then move.

3. korverftw

korverftw New Member

I was looking at Hoboken -- lots of apartments for between $750 and $1k a month. I plan on renting for a while while I save for a home unless by some chance I can afford one.

4. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

so make it happen. i would attempt to look for jobs before you get there, or at least try and set up some interviews for the very first week you will arrive. 11k is a nice start, but it wont last you forever, so you need to work hard to make sure you get an income right away. look at the cities you might want to move to, check out what apartments cost in the area and make a budget of what your cost of living will be so you know what you are getting yourself into before you move as well.

5. summer1547

summer1547 New Member

Go for it! Make it happen no matter what. There are plenty of ways to decrease your daily cost of living to give yourself lots of breathing room. A really cool book that I found informative was "The Four Hour work week." It's not exactly what you are looking for but the mindset he describes has helped me in the past 4 months. There's no time like the present and you can always find an excuse to slow you down or altogether stop you from moving forward the direction that you want to go. Details are important but don't make them so important you freeze.

6. korverftw

korverftw New Member

Thanks for the info and encouragement :)

7. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I recommend you go there first and take a look at some areas see which you like. I'd rather live in south jersey closer to beaches but still close enough to NY you can just hop on a train for $15 and be there and less conjestion. Hoboken is ok lots of bars/clubs if you are into that thing. Probably want to save more to own a house in NJ taxes are insanely high :hs:

8. rogueslg71

rogueslg71 New Member

get a job there first before you move.
    dont forget moving costs. if you want to see places first/check them out before moving thats one trip right there so a round trip plane ticket, transportation for apartment/house hunting, plus a place to stay at a hotel or wherever, food, etc.

a budget to move your things. are you going to take a plane? drive your own car? rent/drive a uhaul for you things? when you get there you will need start up money for things like yoru rent and just things to keep the house running.

everything costs a couple or few hundred at a time and with only 11k available it wont last long especially since rent will probably be around 700-1k per month so you should really get a job first and then use the savings for moving and getting furniture/etc there.