Moving applications to an external HD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Apr 24, 2006.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

So, I've got a firewire Harddrive connected to my computer. I want to move some important applications to my external HD because I want to do a fresh install of Tiger (finally got it).

So, I just drag and drop the applications I want (such as Photoshop etc) a few will go over, then it'll say it can't copy this or that (usually something to do with photoshop). Is there anyway to get arround this, or anyway to move the applications to the HD as opposed to copying them?

Thanks

P.S. its already been posted in the Apple forums so you don't need to try there.

2. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

Have you thought about cloning your existing drive to the external drive, then doing your fresh install? Some programs (mainly Adobe) have potential to completely tank on you if, say, Application Support or /Library folders suddenly go MIA in the program's eyes.

But if it's more things like VLC, Office, Firefox (et al), you should be fine. You'll definitely want to make a backup of your home directory if you're wanting to do a fresh install, but want to keep the settings you had for your programs.

3. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

ok, so if I did do that, then what? Then i have to load my entire old drive onto the new HD because I don't know what files I need or don't.