moving all data from one notebook to a new one?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by t1h, Dec 28, 2006.

1. t1h

t1h Guest

I've got an older dell notebook with XP and a 44pin IDE drive in it. I need to move all the data to a new gateway notebook with a SATA drive. How should I proceed? should I use norton ghost, or should I put the SATA drive in a SATA computer and get a 44-40 pin PATA IDE adapter and use seagate's drive tools to image the data from the 44pin drive to the seagate SATA drive?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

3. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

Does your old computer still work? Could you not just plug a cat5 cable into each computer's network adapter and create a network? That's how I went about transfering my old documents to my new computer without any issues.
    I forget exactly how to do it, but it should only take a bit of trial and error.

4. t1h

t1h Guest

yeah and then i still have to reinstall the scanner, email client, shared drives, backgrond, get all the settings exactly the same, blah blah. i just want to image the old drive to the new one, and let XP detect itself on the new PC and fix the driver issues. I have a volume license of XP so I don't have to fuck with activation.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If only XP worked like that. Reinstall it if you want it done right.

6. You could just use a crossover cable from one notebook to the other and copy everything via the "network". It would take a while, but would probably be easier and cheaper than anything else.