WEB Moving a site to a different server?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Browning, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Browning

Browning Active Member

I made a thread a while back about a expired domain I'm trying to recover. If I can't get it I plan to register the other available extensions and use them.

I still have access to the server the site is hosted on, but I'm not sure how to go about moving it to my HG server. Reason why is it has a msql setups and I'm sure I'll fuck shit up.

I created a full backup in cpanel, can I just upload that to my new server? :hsugh:

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Dump the mysql databases to text, FTP or scp them tot he new host, setup the databse on the new host, import the dumped text files. It's really quite easy if you have shell access on the servers, it will literally take about 5 mins. Sometimes the longest part is the xferring between hosts ...

If you have shell access I can do this for ya .. aim (retorqatwork) or yahoo (retorq2001) me ...

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Didn't see this part, yeah you can, then import it and that's all you should need to do.

4. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

If you use the same host, with the same domain with just a different .com/.net/.org extension, it may just use the exact same directory as the previous domain, essentially putting the site up exactly as it left off. Won't need to reconfigure anything but internal hard-coded links on the site itself.

5. Browning

Browning Active Member

it'll be a different host.

6. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

Manually all you have to do is download the files via FTP, then backup the mysql. You then open the .sql file in a text editor, and replace the table name, and database name to your new info. You then import it, and all should work fine.

7. Browning

Browning Active Member

:bowdown: I got the files and sql from it earlier. Now hopefully I can retrieve the original domain back:o