GUN Moving a gun safe?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sprite, Dec 13, 2006.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

Anyone here have their gun safe professionally moved? What did it cost and where did you find the mover?

The model I'm looking at is about 1200 lbs, and needs to go down a flight of stairs to my basement. The few moving places I've called so far have pretty much said "Fuck that." I checked to see if I could rent one of those stair climbing hand-trucks but none of the rental places have them, and even if they did I think I'd rather have somebody insured & bonded do it anyway.

2. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

I think most of those hand carts are rated for 500lbs and you better plan on leaving the safe if you move, because your not getting it back up a flight of stairs.

If you don't have an exit door in your basement it must be all underground, does it get a lot of moisture in it?

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

I know they make electric stair climbers that will handle the weight, so I'll worry about getting back up the stairs when the time comes.

The basement is entirely enclosed and underground. We're surrounded by sandy soil though so we don't have a lot of trouble with dampness. In the summer it gets humid but we have central air conditioning and a dehumidifier since we already have a bunch of stuff stored down there anyway. I was planning on making a little platform with a moisture barrier to keep it up off the concrete.

4. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

at the local Sportsman's Warehouse they have business cards for gun safe movers on top of all the displays, no idea on cost though.

5. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I would just leave it on the main floor :o

6. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

just cut around it and let it fall as it may

7. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

genius!

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I had mine moved by a locksmith that also did safe moves. I got him from the yellow pages under safe movers I think. Try locksmiths if not, and they should be able to point you at a company that does.

It's a 600lb safe and it cost $150 to move it ($75 an hour - 2 hour minimum). He bolted it down for free :love:

I don't think he would have done stairs for that cheap, but they did huge industrial safes too.

9. sprite

sprite Active Member

[​IMG]

10. sprite

sprite Active Member

Locksmith is a good idea...

11. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

12. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

13. Accord

Accord New Member

I called every single moving company in the phone book when I was trying to get my safe delivered to save some money, and I got one of two responses, they either 1) couldn't do it, or 2) charged a minimum of like 8 hours at 100 bucks an hour which was stupid. So I just ended up having the store I bought the safe from deliver it for $150 :o.

You're not going to find a moving company to move JUST the safe and if you do they'll rip you off on the price. If you're moving furniture and whatnot to a new house and the safe is just part of it they'll do it, but to move just the safe most moving companies won't waste their time.

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just goto home depot and pick up some mexicans :dunno:

15. striker754

striker754 Chillin

have a broken safe and a dirty house? no thanks

16. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

I had my safe moved (about 1400lbs) they picked it up and delivered it 100 miles away and they charged me $450. I thought it was pricey but for one I was out of the country (had to have my friend move $30K worth of guns for me in his car and on top of it he doesn't even like guns); and I had 1 weeks notice to get it all done. The guy who did it was a gun shop friend of mine whom I trust and honestly I don't think he made a dime on me and that was his cost to get 4 guys to move the safe which took them pretty much the whole day.
    Anyways I just bought a new house and am honestly thinking about just leaving it where its at (my parents house) and just buying a new safe. I've tried to just shift the safe and I made zero head way; no way I could even think about moving it without professionals there.

17. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

all you have to do is tell them "as, escopeta, fusil, arma de fuego, pistola" and they'll behave

18. Justin03R6

Justin03R6 New Member

Check with your local safe retailer.
    The company I used here charges by weight, 1200 lbs runs around $400. Stairs will probably cost extra.

19. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:rofl:

20. sprite

sprite Active Member

The dealer that I'd be buying it from basically does a curbside delivery. One of the local locksmiths is also a gun dealer, so I bet that's why the guy who I'd be buying it from refuses to recommend a mover :rofl:

21. Crossett

Crossett New Member

ace, clears the earth from, gun, firearm, pistol?

thats what google translated it to anyway

22. Keesh

Keesh New Member

escopeta is shotgun if I remember.

23. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Correct.

24. sprite

sprite Active Member

Finally got a quote... $304 to have it moved, and another $45 to insure it for the full value of the safe.

The hinges are internal so no luck there. It has to come down my regular interior stairwell. I was planning on building some kind of a platform for it just to keep it from leeching moisture through the concrete. Did you bolt your platform to the floor before you bolted the safe to the platform?

25. sprite

sprite Active Member

I do have access under the stairs. The mover didn't seem concerned about it when I talked him but if I need rent few post jacks to stick under there for safeties sake then no big deal.

We're pretty much decided on a Heritage Centennial, but not entirely decided on options yet.