LGBT Movies that teach tolerance?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cedric, Sep 3, 2004.

1. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

May 9, 2004
    I just finished watching the DVD of X2: X-men United and I couldn't help but think that the mutants in the movie were a wonderful metaphor of marginalized members of society...such as gays.

Mutant abilities were depicted as a wonderful, amazing, yet highly misunderstood, and as a result, feared thing. It just seemed like such an appropriote parallel to our own situation.

I think it's great that movies such as this are being made to promote a general tolerance of the wonderful thing that is diversity in all its forms, to a younger audience. Even if they don't draw the immediate connection between mutant powers to something as far off as homosexuality, the message is still present.

I felt these quotes from the movie captured the sentiment quite well. Any thoughts?

quote 1:
    Nightcrawler: You know, outside the circus, most people were afraid of me. But I didn't hated them. I pitied them. Do you know why? Because most people will never know anything beyond what they see with their own two eyes.
    Storm: Well I gave up on pity a long time ago.
    Nightcrawler: Someone so beautiful should not be so angry.
    Storm: Sometimes anger can help you survive.
    Nightcrawler: So can faith.

quote 2:
    Nightcrawler: Excuse me? They say you can imitate anybody, even their voice. Then why not stay in disguise all the time? You know, look like everyone else.
    Mystique: Because we shouldn't have to.

the scene with Bobby Drake and his family is also relevant.

oh...and contrary to what some may believe, an enhanced fashion sense does NOT qualify as a mutant ability.:fawk:
  2. CoCo

CoCo a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Jan 14, 2004
    Maryland ; the land of Mary's... was very intentional. Originally, when Marvel/Stan Lee created the X-Men, it was intended to be a metaphor to the civil rights movement, Eric/Magneto being Malcolm X and Xavier being Martin Luther King. In the comics, the focus has shifted towards the queer community. In the movie, they were intentionally making mutant synonymous with queer.

Look at the bonus features, they talk about it.
  3. I Rule

I Rule Guest

Countless theories of life have their boundaries and limits......and so does tolerance. There needs to be a place where tolerance is no more. If you keep on tolerating different and "unique" behavior time and time again, you will end up with anarchy where all behavior is considered normal and justified. You cannot teach everyone ways of homosexuality...ignorance will always stop you. I am gay myself and at some level I prefer for gays to be in isolation and outside the world that heterosexuals are in.
  4. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

Oct 31, 2002
    It's pretty funny that you picked up on this. I too noticed the same thing when I saw this movie and ironically, I watched it again this weekend.

Incidentally, the guy that plays Nightcrawler is gay in real life and if I'm not mistaken, the author, or director, or someone directly involved with the production of the movie, is gay as well.

In some ways, this topic is one of the reasons why I like HGTV so much. Not only is it educational, but a lot of the shows have no problems interviewing gay couples that have worked on their homes. Their sexuality isn't an issue and that's as it should be.
  5. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

Jan 16, 2001
    yep alan cumming is gay, as is bryan singer, the director. The latter supposedly has a rep down in l.a. but that's another story ;)

I never thought about that, but it's very valid. I think the mystique quote really sums it up well.