Movie Rippers...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Feb 21, 2009.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

Do we have any movie rippers here? I've been ripping my DVD collection and encoding them twice. In an iPod/iPhone compatible format (iPod High Res in Handbrake) and in Apple TV format so I have a high quality version when I want to watch it on TV.

I'm interested in hearing how other do their encoding. I noticed the new Handbrake has some new encoding presets and I'm wondering if I should just stick with the way I've been doing it or if there's some better way that I'm missing.

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I started ripping all of my movies and purchased another HD to put them all on so I can watch them on my computer when I want to (or put them on my laptop for trips). I just do .mp4, FFMPEG, 1000mb file, no anamorphic, no 2-pass encoding and let her go. i tried the presets and while im sure they're great for the more specific ones (iPod/iPhone), they'll probably work just fine on the appleTV in the other formats.

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

I have an OCD when it comes to quality and options. So I like doing two encodes-- one for use on the iPod/iPhone and it can still be plugged into a TV and look good. Then one AppleTV, high quality version for high quality play on the TV. I know it's overkill, but whatever. :dunno:

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

that's ok, if you have the room, who cares?

I just get bored waiting for the encodes to finish or am on a timeline to get it done (lol blockbuster returns ;))