movie doesnt fast forward like other movies

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nicotino16, Jun 28, 2004.

1. nicotino16

nicotino16 New Member

i downloaded this movie, and it wont fast forward, or you cant move the bar over if you know what i mean, is there any way to get around that or what?

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

What format is it in?
    If it's WMV or ASF, there is an option while making the video to not let it be seekable meaning no fast forward or rewind....stupid as hell but it's true.

If it's labled as avi or mpg, it could really be a WMV or ASF, right-click on it in WMP and look at the Properties for the video codec.

But you do know, the more info you provide to the problem the better people can help you better. But instead I have to ask you questions that I shouldn't have to ask.

3. Spugster

Spugster Guest

If you are not sure what codec is being used, I recommend using GSpot. GSpot will tell you all of the videos details, including video codec, Stream type, Metadata, Audio Codec, etc

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

But Gspot will only give the details to AVIs.
    Gives a bit of info for MPGs, but not much.
    For QuickTime and WMV/ASF, it just tells you that it is a QT or WMV/ASF files with no details at all.

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

zplayer is a good player that overrides the ability to rw/ff on some mpeg4 movies. Plus when you do, it seems to traverse faster than wmp.

6. lordbean

lordbean Guest

sometimes you can't seek in a movie because it has a broken keyframe or something, and although it may still be playable, it confuses the player if it has to find an index because it doesn't see what it expects in the file.

7. nicotino16

nicotino16 New Member

lol, thanks for the replies, i forgot i posted this and alrady deleted the movie, oh well. ill know next time thanks.

8. bubblegum_88

bubblegum_88 Guest

it could be extracting as it plays... im pretty sure thats what the problem is.

9. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

If it's an AVI and it's not complete (Ie, missing the last 1 second of video) it won't let you scroll ahead at all, even though it'll show the full correct movie length. (I have this problem with a few avi's of mine)