Move Library for External Drive to External Drive?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mach D, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Mach D

Mach D New Member

I have a Macbook Pro. Long story short, I have select music on my Macbook and the rest on an external drive. Well that drive is full and I want to move it all over to a new Firewire 800 drive I bought. Thing is it's all associated to the other external drive in iTunes.

How can I move this over without removing everything from iTunes and re-adding it?

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

just move the files over, then when you try to play it in iTunes it will say it cant locate it. then just point it to the right location for one file and it should find the rest. :bigok:

3. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

and of course set itunes to use that new drive as the default location for new imported files, if you're managing your library that way.

4. Mach D

Mach D New Member

Are there any settings that needed to be on? I copied my files to the new drive and set the first one over to the new drive. That one song is associated with the drive, but not the rest. Obviously I don't want to do this to thousands of songs.

5. Mach D

Mach D New Member

Actually that's a good idea but it might not work for what I'm doing. When I'm home, I have an entire Airport setup for music and a lot of it is on my drive. But when I leave, I like to keep my most listened to stuff with me. So I have a small portion of my music on my main drive. By default, new CDs I buy go there and then I cycle out older stuff from time to time.

6. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Ah. I use my external HD as my music storehouse, and whenever I get something new I throw it into Itunes to straighten out the tags and let itunes copy it into the external; then I can drag the external around with me and plug it into my car, my 360, my desktop pc, etc. and only have one library to worry about keeping up to date. in theory, anyway.

7. Mach D

Mach D New Member

Bah.... nobody?