Move boot manager?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MSTRBKR, Dec 2, 2009.

1. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

I can't use a DVD to install Windows 7 so I had to install it from inside my existing 7 installation on a separate hard drive. That went smoothly onto my new HDD. The problem is that when I remove the old hard drive with the old 7 install on, the new install will not boot. I believe it has something to do with thr boot manager being on the other HDD.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of some good instructions to solve my problem?

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

You could try to boot to the Win 7 and repair the MBR.

Why couldn't you install from the DVD?

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

you need to reinstall the mbr
    1. Insert Win 7 installation DVD and boot from DVD drive. While in some older systems you may have to change boot order through system BIOS, most newer systems allow booting from DVD without changing boot order by simply clicking on any key when prompted to doing so.
    2. Step 2
      Choose your default "Language", "Time", and "keyboard Input" on the first window and click next.
    3. Step 3
      You're now presented with 3 choices. Click on "Repair Your Computer" to gain access to the System Recovery window. Now choose "Command Prompt" in order to run the desired utility which is called "bootsect.exe". Bootsect is located inside the boot folder so change your directory to boot. Now run "bootsect /nt60 C:\" if you had Win 7 initially installed in the C partition. Alternatively, you can run "bootsect /nt60 SYS" or "bootsect /nt60 ALL" to repair the system partition or all partitions. Eject the DVD, and restart computer. Your computer should now boot Win 7 again.

4. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

I got 7 from a download store (cheap for students) and you have to make your own .iso from the files, but it's very tempremental.

I successfully installed it the other day using the DVD after about 10 attempts where it would fail after about 15 minutes into the setup, very annoying. Now I have a new hard drive I tried it about 6 times before giving up, who knows how many times I'd have to try before it finally did it. Now I'm in this situation.

I've tried to repair but it doesn't seem to work.

5. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Excellent I will give that a go. So just to be sure, the install that I want to remove is on the C drive so I keep the instructions above as C?

The install that I want to repair is currently on H for some reason.

Oh actually I might as well just use "bootsect /nt60 ALL" to make sure.

And do I actually need to run "bootsect.exe"? Or just enter the boot directory and run "bootsect /nt60 ALL" straight away?

6. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Right. That didn't work.

I tried all those commands and afterwards it said something along the lines of 'may be unreliable: access denied'. But then said that all targeted volumes had been successful :confused:

I did this with the existing windows install drive unplugged and had just my new HDD plugged in. Is that correct?

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

install it on to a usb flash drive. I did two copies of the same downloaded one no problem.

8. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

How do I install it on a USB flash drive? I take it the .iso doesn't go on it? I have a folder called 'expandedSetup' and 2 'BOX' files.

Also I don't have a large enough flash drive, will an SD card plugged into my camera do it? :o