Mouthguards

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Accord, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accord

Accord New Member

For hockey, i've always used those cheap $4 mouthguards that are sold in pretty much every sporting goods store where you just boil them and mold them to your teeth. Well last week I got hit pretty badly and my mouthguard flew out of my mouth, when I picked it up there was this nasty hair on it so I definitely wasn't going to stick it back in my mouth so I ended up playing the rest of the game without a mouth guard and all I can say is WOW. I had double the endurance, I wasn't gasping for air after a tough shift, I was able to skate hard the whole game, I was able to breathe so incredibly well, and I was a lot faster on the ice. I've never experienced this before because i've ALWAYS played with mouthguards which restrict my air flow.

I know there are some pretty expensive mouth guards like $50+ and they're supposed to allow lot's of breathability and whatnot... which one is the best and also the least bulky?

Thanks

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

You should be breathing through your nose anyway... stick with the cheap ones and build up more endurance and lung capacity.

They have specialize ones that are less bulky, or ones that have a lot of air channels in them for pretty cheap at the sports store I go to :dunno: Go to your local big5 type place and ask them.

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

you're a manly man, aint ya?

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

no way, real men don't have teeth past the age of 15 :eek5:

5. watagatapitusberry

watagatapitusberry OT Supporter

word to your mother

6. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

:werd:

I used either cheap mouthgaurds or Shock Doctors when I play hockey.

7. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Opro and protech are two of the better brands. Most dentists are great at making them as well.

8. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

Real men dont GROW teeth!

9. Placebo

Placebo New Member

no gym for home

10. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

you realize the main reason for a mouth guard isn't to protect your teeth, right?

11. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm going to my dentist today at 3:30 to get molded for a custom mouthguard.

12. watagatapitusberry

er...dont you mold most mouthguards at home? how precise of a fit do you need?

ibhetookitoutofthepackageandjustworeit...raw

13. Accord

Accord New Member

The ones you boil at home are not good, sure they're molded to your teeth but they don't stay in place and more importantly the OUTSIDE of the mouthguard is not molded to your mouth, only the actual teeth portion. A custom mouthguard from a dentist stays in place, does not rattle around in your mouth or come loose, and allows you to actually be able to talk normally and breath easily, and is very comfortable.

As for the people who say just breathe through your nose, you guys have obviously never played any fast paced high intensity sports before...

14. Accord

Accord New Member

The ones you boil at home are not good, sure they're molded to your teeth but they don't stay in place and more importantly the OUTSIDE of the mouthguard is not molded to your mouth, only the actual teeth portion. A custom mouthguard from a dentist stays in place, does not rattle around in your mouth or come loose, and allows you to actually be able to talk normally and breath easily, and is very comfortable.

As for the people who say just breathe through your nose, you guys have obviously never played any fast paced high intensity sports before...

15. watagatapitusberry

oh i see...ive never really had that problem. The brand i used was shock doctor

about your second comment, you should always breathe through your nose, reregardless of activity. However, I've ran the gamut of sports, be it competitively or recreational, and always breathed through my nose. Some of the more hardcore fighters at my gym train on bags with water in their mouth for this express purpose. youre gonna be sucking air at first, but i think its worth it

16. Accord

Accord New Member

I've tried shock doctors but they were so uncomfortable even after molding them like 4 or 5 times.

I always breathe through my nose except when i'm running or doing some other high intensity sport, such as hockey. I can't get the same amount of air breathing through my nose that I can when i'm breathing through my mouth with long deep breaths.

17. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Haha.... does Boxing count?

But yeah I understand.... between rounds it's normal to rip that shit out asap and chug down some air while you still can... especially if you get socked on the button, then mucas/blood build up will make it nearly impossible to breathe through your nose. I've also practiced kickboxing w/ mouth guard in but never fought in the ring using muay thai, but I'm sure it's even more aerobically demanding.

Anyways, just beware, I've seen some that look basically like invisalign only with some padding around it, and I'm pretty sure they won't have nearly the protective abilities of the bigger ones.

18. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

People tend to breathe through their mouths when they get winded

19. Accord

Accord New Member

Well I just got back from the dentist and had a mouthguard custom molded to my mouth, it'll take about a week for them to make it... fucking thing cost $450 and I don't have dental insurance :wtc:.

20. watagatapitusberry

:eek3:...you better wear that till the day you die...and then in your casket too

21. Placebo

Placebo New Member

and when they get a bloody nose like in mma.

22. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Mouthgaurds are hellish to wear for hockey. One league I was in made it a requirement, but after 3 games I just stopped wearing it because I hated it so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.