Mounting Network Drives

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bandwagon, Apr 23, 2006.

1. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

I use network drives a lot (SAMBA server) and everytime I sleep it disconnects. Is there any way to remount the network share automatically as soon as I boot my computer or bring it back from sleep?

2. Skoles

Skoles Guest

You can try adding them to keychain. But I have yet to find a way to get my works G5 (running 10.3.9) to automatically connect & log into our networked drives.

3. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Passwords are a non issue, I would just like to have it connect automatically. What about a folder action?

4. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

possible, but not from sleep. you can use automator to auto mount volumes on boot.

5. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

automator app that you keep in dock? You might be able to build an apple script that upon wake launches the app, or even better mounts the drive.

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

just press Apple+K and then hit connect, its not that hard...

i just do that each time.

7. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

It's not that hard to just click on the link to my server, but if I have music in iTunes on a network share I have to make sure it is mounted or it wont play, etc.

Its not about difficulty its about automating common tasks to make my life easier.

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

well once you figure something out, post it up so i can use it too ;)

9. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

:werd:, I have my users use an Applescript (saved as a run-only application) whenever they need to connect to a share. I use a custom icon to make it easy to recognize. If you want to go the Applescript route, here's what I did:

1. Open /Applications/Applescript/Script Editor.
    2. Paste the following code into the Script Editor window.

Code:
    tell application "Finder"
         open location "protocol://servername.domain.ext/share"
    end tell

3. Obviously, you'll want to modify the address that's in quotes so that it matches your environment.

Protocol can be either AFP, SMB, or whatever file protocol the server hosting the share is using. If the server is running Windows, odds are that it will use the SMB protocol, whereas a file server running OS X predominantly uses the AFP protocol.

An example of servername.domain.ext is fileserv.company.local. Keep in mind that you can use the IP address of the file server as well if your network doesn't have an internal DNS server.

Finally, share is the name of the share you want to connect to. Beware though, that AFP share names are case-sensitive.

4. Select File -> Save As...
    5. Pick where you want to save this to, give it a name, and save it as an Application, and choose the option to Run Only.
    6. Go to where you saved this to, and drop its icon in the Dock.

A couple of examples:

If I want to connect to the C$ share on my brother's Windows computer upstairs, and his IP address is 10.0.1.2, I'd want to put smb://10.0.1.2/c$ in between the quotes.

Alternatively, if I wanted to connect to my home directory on my work computer, I'd want to put afp://workcomputer.company.com/myusername in between the quotes.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  10. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Yes that helps, but it still amounts to clicking on 'something' to mount it. Is there a script that is run each time the system wakes? Yes I am a lazy bastard.