GUN Mounting a Light to Plastic Handguards

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Dec 3, 2008.

1. This is kind of a followup thread to my flashlight thread from yesterday. My TK10 is on the way, but I wanted to try out my idea for mounting the light to the plastic handguards. I figured I'd give it a go with my Surefire Z2L as a kind of proof-of-concept. The Z2L is a bit less in diameter than the TK10, so I just put some small rubber strips in there so I could snug up the ring around it. I wanted to be able to mount the light on the handguard where it was easy for me to operate with my thumb as hand holds the magwell. This would work just as well further forward on the handguard for someone who prefers to hold the handguard, or has a VFG. The piece of rail I used was one I had lying around from JP for their modular handguard. I'm sure someone has done this before me, but I haven't seen it yet, so I took a few pics for anyone interested.

First, I put everything together and held it in place by hand to see a rough idea of where I wanted to mount the rail. Once I had it where I wanted it, I marked the handguard and drilled out the holes. The screws from JP aren't long enough to go all the way through the plastic and metal layer, so for this proof-of-concept I just drilled the holes slightly undersized and screwed into the plastic. Tomorrow I'll get longer screws that will allow me to use the threaded backing piece the rail comes with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also note in the above picture that the rail isn't indexed by the ribs running along the top of the handguard, as they point inwards, you have to make sure the rail stays level on the gun. There is a little more space between the front of the rail and the ribs on the handguard than there is between the back of the rail and the ribs.

Next, just put the handguards back on the gun and attach your light to the new rail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If the light looks a little crooked there, it is. The rubber pieces I used to space it in the ring didn't hold it straight. The TK10 should fit the rings very well.

Here it is in use.
    [​IMG]

2. more off

more off Moderator

3. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

it's flooding your front sight a bit. will that be a problem?

4. I don't have any idea. I thought about it, but it does make it real easy to see the front sight, and the way I figure it, any shooting in the dark will be at pretty close range, and the whole front sight is like a big aiming reticle at those distances. I've seen other lights mounted where they illuminate the front sight too.

5. Bloody Sunday

i think it's just the picture that makes it look blinding. but you're right, lighting up the front sights don't sound like a bad thing

6. You're right about the pic. I didn't use the camera flash, obviously, so the shutter stayed open a bit long. The light on the front sight isn't as bright in person.

7. Bloody Sunday

:coold: good job, btw

8. Thanks. :)

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Any reason for putting it so far back? Just seems it would be easier to hit on or off if it was down by the front sight.

10. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

you can also buy the carbine length rail and install it on the bottom where the holes are. it has screws to fasten it to the handguard

11. I'm a fan of holding the magwell. That positions the light perfectly for my thumb to activate the light.

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:cool: that looks like it would work good then.