GUN Mounted a TLR-1 on my 870 *PICS*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sprite, Jul 7, 2006.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

Got my Streamlight TLR-1, Wilson Mag Tube Extension and LMT Tri-rail in on Monday and got everything installed. The mag tube extension came from Midway and the TLR-1 & LMT came for Brightflashlights on arfcom (good guy to do business with btw... better than average prices and ordered at 2pm on Friday, shipped Friday afternoon, and was at more door on Monday afternoon).

The mag tube extension was a little bit of a hassle since I drilled out one of the detents (Express model) a little of center so I had to do a little more Dremel work on the inside than I had hoped. Got it all cleaned up smooth and cold blued though so it should be all set. Even if you don't put an extended mag tube on, replace the follower... I was amazed what a cheap,thin, flimsy POS the stock follower was.

The LMT mount is a quality piece if a little over priced. Seems to be good and solid but we'll see how it holds its position under recoil.

The TLR-1 is nice. Easy to mount and unmount, and nice and bright white light. I like how the momentary/constant on switch is set up. Where it is mounted I can reach the switch with either my thumb or pointer finger without taking my hand off the forend. I also like the fact that I can have it off the shotgun and on my Glock in about 1 minute.

Overall the shotgun has turned out way more 'tacticool' than I'd like, but function > form.

Here a few pics... the finish difference between the mag extension & barrel isn't as pronounced in person as in the pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Interesting. Looks like it'd be hard to reach the toggle where it's mounted.

3. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Where's the tape switch at, money?

If you can get a cool tape switch running on the pump handle, it'll be :cool:

4. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

AFAIK, there isn't a tape for the TLR-1 yet. It's still the best priced weaponlight out there, and that LED dominates my SureFire G2 and DigiLight 1000XB-LE.

I think I'm going to pick up another one for my MC Operator when it comes in.

5. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Really? That sucks. :hs:

I have been checking the TLR-1s out and they look VERY cool, but LaRue just came out with a SureFire X200 mount for ARs, and I have a DG switch from an old light, so I'm really torn.

I hear the TLR-1 is MUCH MUCH better though.

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

Yeah, its not ideal...the sling mount plate on the mag extension is in the way a little bit, but like anything else it is a matter of practicing with it.

I tried mounting it on the side rail, but the barrle/mag tube cast a huge shadow on the opposite side. I can get rid of that by mounting the light further forward, but then it becomes very difficult to reach without taking my hand off the forend, so I just stuck with the under-mount.

When the tape switch comes out I'll almost definitely be picking one up.

7. Thunderbear

Are you dead set on using the TLR on the shotgun, or is it pulling double duty with a pistol?

I would pick up a TDi mount and G2 with pressure switch and call it good.

8. sprite

sprite Active Member

I got the TLR-1 specifically for the shotgun, I just liked the fact that it could also be mounted on the Glock even though I really have no plans for using it on the Glock.

I thought about just going the flashlight holder route, but decided I wanted a dedicated weapon light since its more compact and built to take the beating.

9. IDMO

IDMO OT Supporter

Cheapest place for a TLR-1?

I'd like to get one for the Glock

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

11. Thunderbear

Cheapest I've seen is 94.95, but I forget where. Try Calvin.

WB, Sterling :fawk:

12. Jon91SE

Jon91SE OT Supporter

I absolutely :love: my TLR-1

13. Jon91SE

Jon91SE OT Supporter

You can have it shipped to your door for $100 exactly

14. IDMO

IDMO OT Supporter

wtf is Calvin

15. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

16. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Calvin has the best prices on lights. I'd say that my little group I do group buys with through him has probably spent like, $2,000 with him. I've gotten my G2, e2e, filters, my 636FA, all kinds of shit from him. Great guy. He probably makes like, one penny on each sale or something with the prices he has.

17. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Yeah, Calvin rocks. He not only has great prices on lights, but he also gets some obscure, hard to find seperate parts for many Surefires. Need some body to build a light but can't find it anywhere else -- Calvin has it or will come across it in a few weeks.