Mountain Biking

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Bear Klaw, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

How good is biking for losing weight? I am into it and want to know how often and if there is a limit to the amount of time i spend doing it. And if there are any techniques to do while biking for like a work out rotein. Odd I know, I figure just biking will shed the pounds but curious to any additional information that would help.

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

It's a great way to stay interested in cardio. Cardio can get boring at times, so biking is a great way. Anything that gets your heart rate up that high is good for losing weight.

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

it's fun. hard on the knees though :hs:

4. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

mountain biking downhill at like 60 miles an hour on a mountain is WEAK.

5. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Not if your bike fits you properly.

6. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

Yeah , my knees are getting bad. I am a heavy guy. Therefore my knees take damage. I used to bike daily until my right knee started to give out. I guess they have their limits to what they can take.

7. joy division

joy division New Member

:hsugh: no gym for home?

8. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Biking should be fairly easy on your knees, especially if you knee problems are caused by your weight. It might be a good idea to go to a bike shop and have someone who knows what they're doing help find a bike that fits you.

9. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

i workout at a gym. not at home.

i said downhill mt. biking is weak because its for pussies :rofl: :rofl:

10. kidbv2

kidbv2 New Member

anyone have any resources or ideas for the mountain biking noobs who want to get into it?

11. johndoe1999

johndoe1999 New Member

12. Pilky

Pilky New Member

I always thought biking was always better on the knee's as opposed to running.

13. realest00

realest00 New Member

:hahano:

singletrack xc is boring.

14. pt

pt New Member

^^^ Agreed

15. joy division

joy division New Member

wow you are confused.

Vid of you breaking 10 miles an hour on a bike?

16. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

17. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I have heard that for every minute you spend on a bike peddaling you burn around 10 calories. Is there any truth to this?

18. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

so pedaling as fast as possible and pedaling as slow as possible burn the same amount of calories? false

19. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

God I love biking. got myself an Columbia Ignition DS. I do both road biking (to/from work & gym) and trail riding.

Best $400 ever spent!

20. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Threadstarter. If your knees bother you while riding make sure your bike fit is good and learn to ride properly. This isn't a jab at you. A lot of people don't know how to utilize their gears properly. Try raising your cadence while reducing resistance. Your knees will thank you.

21. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

What everyone else said about raising the seat. Before I didn't raise my seat I wasn't utilizing all my leg power. I would get burned out more easily. It was very tough. Then one day another biker realized what I was doing. He told me to raise my seat higher. I did and it made a world of difference. I also am recovering from 2 knee surgerys. Biking helps alot. I can go hard as I want without worrying about my knees. Biking does also help you loose weight. My routine is I bike 2 days a week. These are the days I don't do cardio at the gym. Instead of riding the stationary bike I enjoy myself and ride a local trail near my house.

22. Accord

Accord New Member

No. If you pedal as hard as you can for 1 minute in first gear, and then do the same in a higher, much tougher gear, you'll burn more calories in the harder gear.

It's really the same principle as an eliptical machine that you use at a gym. Doing 30 minutes of cardio on an eliptical at say, resistance level 8 will yield approximately 350 burned calories. Do the same thing as a resistence level of 15 and you will burn 550+ in that same amount of time. The actual numbers on the readouts won't be accurate, but they will show a difference in the end result and that one certainly does burn more calories than the other.

23. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

One could argue against this. On a bike lets say your on lvl 10. Your rpm is around 85-90. You move to lvl 15 and your rpm is in the low 50's. Just because you are at a higher resistance doesn't mean your burning more calories. Alot more factors are involved. Same goes for the eliptical machine.

24. Accord

Accord New Member

Let's look at it from a weight lifting perspective. Let's say you can bench 225 for 6 reps (high, tough gear on a bike), or you can bench the bar 50 times (1st gear on a bike).

You do 1 set of 6 brutally tough reps at 225, then you rest and do a set of 50 reps of just benching the bar... which one will burn more calories? The heavy set will burn more calories, because even if you burn the same amount of calories set for set, only the heavy set will keep your metabolic rate going in overdrive for the following 48 hours and only the heavy set will be burning calories to repair the muscle.

25. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Your looking at it all wrong. Weightlifting and biking can't really be compared. Theres just too many factors involved in biking. If your at lvl 15 and your rpm is in the low 50's you won't burn more calories than if your at lvl 12 and at 85-90rpm. To burn more calories your rpm must be the same. Just think abougt it. Your using the same amount of exertion at lvl 15 with low 50's rpm as lvl 12 at 85-90 rpm. Even in weightlifting you cant say for certain that your burning more calories than the example you just gave. You will build more muscle lifting the heavier weight but as for calories im not so sure about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.