A&P Mountain and other Bright Daytime photography tips??

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by COMplex, Apr 19, 2005.

1. COMplex

COMplex New Member

Hey. I'm having a hard time properly exposing bright daytime pics as well as long range mountain pics.

It may have been the camera I was using, but I'm going over some of my older point & shoot stuff, and find a few problems that seem to be common.

1. Most of them are void of vibrant colors. If you've seen some of my other photos, you know most of them are full of color, and very vibrant. When I shoot mountains or in bright sunlight, the images seem to be muddy and undersaturated.

2. Another problem, is the sky being overexposed and blown out. A lot of times, in bright sunlight or on a cloudy day, even if the subject is properly exposed, the sky will be blown out or a very light blue, with many parts white.

3. Even if the sky is nicely exposed, the mountains still appear hazy.

My question, to the experienced folk, is how can I improve my daytime photo taking?

I am used to only shooting as sunset, or night time. And those photos come out great according to most that have seen them.

I'm sure its not the camera, but the settings I'm using. Any tips? Thanks!

(Used to use Sony P&S, Now using a Canon 350d w/ 24-70mm 2.4L & Hood)

2. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

Photographers are often plagued with two situations, too much light or too little light.

What you are encountering is the problem with too much light during the daytime. Generally, you cannot compete with the sun -- You'll need giant lights in order to accomplish this. Landscape and other :sleep: photographers often wait for the cliche moments of sunrise or sunset, simply because there is not too-much light, and often the colors are just right. Sometimes You'll just have to wait for the right time of day.

When you have to get the picture at the wrong time, you can use "ND" or "neutral density" filters to block out some of the light. A regular ND filter covers the whole frame and reduces incoming light by one stop, two stops, four stops, eight stops, etc. Different filters for different strengths.

But when you shoot landscapes and other :sleep: photos, the great contrast is from a bright section of the scene to a dark section of the scene and you just want to block out the light for part of the frame. That's why they make "Graduated ND" filters that are clear for all but 1/3 or 2/3rds of the frame. The remainder is just like an ND filter and you can use it to match your composition. Effectively you are compressing the scene's total dynamic range to something that your film or digital camera's sensor can handle.

Also look into using fill flash for nature photography. It can help bring out small details. Many folks like the -0.7-1.0eV setting for a subtle fill.

:wavey:

3. sony

sony Active Member

Wtf.. hash browns being helpful? :noes: :noes:

pai mei.. :noes:

4. hash browns

You still need to finish carrying those buckets of water up the stairs :o

5. sony

sony Active Member

:embd:

6. COMplex

COMplex New Member

Thanks for the great info. I've been one of the :sleep: guys that waits for it to be sunset for a few reasons. I hate hiking in the heat and hell iof the sun, and photos look better :)

i was looking into those filters a while ago but wasn't sure what to get. I saw Cokin P series gel filters. Is this a good product? I was trying to figure out where they go on the camera/lens but wasn't 100% sure.

I will have to get a couple of those and try again.

Would faster shutter speeds and lower f stops help? (by lower i mean higher in number)

I was shooting at f/8 with auto shutter speeds this weekend and couldnt really see how blown out the sky was until i got home and downloaded to the computer.

Kinda didn't help that I was rushing. Stupid sand storm almost killed me!

7. COMplex

COMplex New Member

hmm now i have to decide if i want to get 8 different cokin resin filters, or 2 b+w nd glass filters.

how low quality is resin compared to glass? $12 vs. $50-$150 is kinda :eek3:

8. hash browns

No Tobacco Filter, No Care

9. COMplex

COMplex New Member

Are you saying cokin is a decent system?

10. hash browns

Ask that Dmitry guy -- I dunno where he is now though :dunno:

11. COMplex

COMplex New Member

well, i just did a little googling and reading, and i'm going with glass. resin can turn to crap in time, and if i want to play with 100+ resin filters, its still cheap enough to buy later on.

thie month i think i'll just stick with b+w mrc uv filter, and b+w grad nd (darker)

and then a 4x and 8x nd also. i saw some pretty nice samples with the full nd filters.

longer exposures in the daytime <3 :mamoru:

12. boostdemon

boostdemon New Member

i think you'll find setting the white balance to a "cloudy" setting and using a standard polarized filter (heck even some sunglasses in front of the lens) will yeild a more vibrant saturated photo.

experiment with what you've got first

13. The_Eagle_Has_Landed

The_Eagle_Has_Landed New Member

he helped, but also called the :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: pictures

14. sony

sony Active Member

Hes entitled to his opinion. :dunno:

15. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

I just picked up a linear polarizer, and will report back with some comparison shots taken w/same settings.

16. mojito

mojito New Member

if you have manual controls try shooting in daylight with 1/ISO @ f/16 or equivalent exposure. If it was iso 100, it would be 1/100 @f/16, 1/200 @ f/11 1/400 @f/8, 1/800 @ f/5.6, 1/1600 @ f/4 etc

you'll need fill flash for the shadows though, or will get heavy contrast, but the sky and lighter areas will be properly exposed

17. hash browns

:werd: :sleep: