Mount an amp on a sub box?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JoeSailer, Jan 4, 2006.

1. JoeSailer

JoeSailer Guest

Hi, I have a new Sub in a box and was thinking that I would like to mount the amp on the box so that when I SCCA race I can pull them both out at once.

Is it o.k. to mount an amp on the sub box?

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I mounted mine on the back of my sub box so I could easily take it out. I doubt there are any negative aspects to doing this that would effect sound quality.

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

There is nothing wrong with mounting the amp on the box. Just make sure your grounding cable is as short as possible, and move to smaller gauge (larger diameter) cable if it seems too long.

4. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Worked great for me, till I now... Went to a single 10

5. JoeSailer

JoeSailer Guest

Thanks guys!

6. Mojo

Mojo New Member

just make sure you dont mount it upside down or at an angle where the fan(s) in the amp cant circulate or cool the unit.

7. ZER0

ZER0 OT Supporter

I have an amp mounted on my 10 box and it works just fine. :dunno:

8. Howardman3

Howardman3 New Member

i have my amp mounted on my sub box. i have washers between the which lift the amp up a little off the box just because i was concerned about cooling but ive never had any issues.

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i would secure the box somehow. rough side of velcro on the bottom of the box will give some help. this is to prevent the box from sliding and wires pulling out of the amp.

10. nickgonzo

nickgonzo oh ya

not to mention how easily people have been killed in a car accident from an unsecured subwoofer box :wtc:

11. denim

denim New Member

the issue I have with mounting the amp to the box is that the steady constant pounding that the amplifer will have non-insulated contact with the vibration, this could cause an issue with the fragility of the internals of the amp, something could be vibrated lose a great deal easier that way

12. akoaypinoy

akoaypinoy New Member

it is ok to do it.

i agree wit DENIM. Also, be careful in mounting ur amp (if you choose to do so on the box) you might compromise the box itself and maybe even the sub. Boxes are made to certain specs and with extra holes or cracks may lose quality or damage the box due to vibration. As said by the others, make sure you mount your amp according to its heat sinks for proper cooling.

just my 2 cents...

13. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

I never do it...but your enclosure shouldn't transfer any pounding to the amp...if it does, it's not built well enough :mamoru:
    Pretty much anything prefab will though..not good, and cooling may be a concern depending on mounting. I've seen people sink screws all the way into their box too...that's not good. But if you do it properly, it's not bad. Not ideal...but not bad.

14. funkbucket007

funkbucket007 New Member

Unless you're concerned about the amp's weight in particular, it'd be a better option to mount it elsewhere & just disconnect the speaker wires from the enclosure & remove it while leaving the amp in place. A lot easier than taking the fuse out under the hood, disconnecting power, disconnecting switch & disconnecting ground on the amp each time.

15. BacardiO

BacardiO OT Supporter

ive had the same amp for 4 years and it has always been attached to the sub box due to not having enough room, and it still works as if it where brand new...granted i have a good quality amp which im sure makes some difference...nothing wrong with mounting the amp on the box :wavey:

16. BacardiO

BacardiO OT Supporter

very true, make sure your screws arent so long that it protrudes to the inside wall of the box, thats not good at all in the long run...good call:bigthumb:

17. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I assume the reasoning it's bad is because if you ever removed the screws there would be holes in your box, right?