Motorcycle problem: won't start

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by blue_fox, Aug 26, 2009.

1. blue_fox

blue_fox New Member

Hey, I just got a bike for the first time. When I got it, I could start it fine. A couple days have gone by and it won't start :/ I hear gas sloshing around and I've tried the choke but even doing that it makes a tiny tiny sound when I press the engine start button.

I had a friend look at it and he's kind of new but knows more than me. He couldn't start it either. The horn and front lights were really dim and the horn is very quiet.

Sound like a dead battery to you guys?

2. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

yes, the battery is certainly dead. whether or not there are other problems is another question.

3. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

What he said.

Get a trickle charger..

4. blue_fox

blue_fox New Member

Bought a charger. So...what all do I need to buy/do to maintain the bike? A battery charger hadn't crossed my mind since I'm used to car batteries. What do you have to take care of your bike? Thanks :)

5. Junkie

change the oil, adjust the valves, clean/change the air filter, clean/adjust the chain...

6. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

1) put fuel in it every couple weeks
    2) ..
    3) .. profit.

Yeah, I don't look after my bike too well, but it's never let me down yet :rofl:

7. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

If it started fine when you first got it, and won't start now, it could be the generator or voltage regulator. The previous owner probably gave the battery a good charge to sell it. That's easier than troubleshooting a charging problem. The bike can run for a little while (just like a car) on the battery alone. Get the battery charged back up, and see if it'll start. A fully charged battery should read about 13.1-12.9v shortly after taking the charger off, and will wane a little from that, but still be above 12.5 a few days later if it's just been sitting. If the battery is bad, it'll drop back to 12.0v or lower, even if you haven't run the bike. If the bike starts after the battery has been charged, put a voltmeter on the battery (or somewhere that's getting juice, like the headlight or tail light). It should read about 13.5v. If the generator isn't charging the bike, you'll only read 12.0v or so.

8. Junkie

Um, when actually charging you should be in the mid 14V range. That may take revving it up a bit though.