Motorcycle Crew: Newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 3l_Chupacabra, Jun 22, 2008.

1. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

So I'm buying a first bike. I've already gotten a lot of feedback on what to look for from friends, something around 600-750cc so it's slow enough to learn on but fast enough that I'll be happy with it once I'm comfortable.

Specifically, I'm looking at buying a 1990 Ninja ZX750 with 16k miles on it. I'm looking for something cheap, so that old is what I'm after, and the guy is willing to sell it to me for 900.

It has a two minor problems though, first the front coolant rail behind the header pipes has a leak, it doesn't leak while its running because the metal around it expands but when you turn it off it drips out coolant for a minute, I've been told around 10-20 drops and I trust the seller. Secondly the engine burns a little oil and smokes a little when started up but not while running, so it could probably use a top end rebuild eventually. It does run just fine though and has no engine noise when idling or all the way up to redlining.

900 seemed like a pretty fair price for it to me, all things considered, and I haven't seen anything comparable going for anything close to that.

Try to keep the crushing of my dreams to a minimum and the negative feedback to a constructive manner, I'm pretty excited about finally getting a bike, regardless of the fact that it isn't a perfect one, but did want to hear what those more knowledgeable on the matter than I had to say.

2. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

ib startingona750youwillkillyourself

i'd say 600cc max for 1st bike if its a sportbike but thats just me :dunno:

3. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

Really that big of a difference between 600 and 750? I was looking for a 600 but this one was everything I wanted other than that, just 750, and a great price.

I'm pretty careful, not some joyriding kid. Still a horrible idea?

4. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

Its all a matter of what you can handle, but you are still gonna get flamed for it here.

5. squid

squid braap

That's a remarkably bad bike to learn to ride on.

6. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Cheap and used...sounds like you have a good deal there. I'd get the coolant leak fixed right away. You don't want to ride over slick coolant as you pull away.

Did you take your MSF class?

7. red97gst

red97gst New Member

Here's the question.

What's a "better move" for a newbie whose only experience is the MSF course and a few years of responsibly driving a fast car.

Brand new 08 Ninja 250R
    Used late 90's 600cc sportbike , like a CBR F3/F4, YZF-600,etc

I ask because guys at the MSF course were saying that big power is not as critical of a problem in a first bike, because you can always squeeze the clutch, rather, WEIGHT was important as a heavy bike is very difficult to become used to maneuvering. I think this ignores the dynamics of a bike on the road, re: how forgiving it is to rider error. Assuming you're going the same speeds, is the GSXR600 going to be much more dangerous and difficult to manage than an ES500?

8. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

There is nothing slow about a 600 sportbike.

For your question above, get the used 600, and take it easy the first couple months. There was a forums meet around here and we went out for a cruise, and the Ninja 250s couldnt keep up at 70mph.

9. squid

squid braap

If the 250 couldn't keep up a steady 70mph there was something extremely wrong with it. Like running on one cylinder or something.

10. red97gst

red97gst New Member

i think he meant they couldnt "keep up" with the bigger bikes, vs maintaining 70mph... which is no surprise i suppose

11. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

I mean both, dude was like 300 pounds.

12. aCab

aCab New Member

CBR600 F3, F4, and F4i all would make great first bikes.

13. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

As long as you are smart about it, you can get any bike as your first. Don't be stupid and make sure you ride the bike for a while and take it slow to get the feel of it. If its what you want, it wouldn't hurt try to talk the guy down.

14. cellphone

cellphone Must not sleep.....

dripping fluids is bad mmmkay

15. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

600cc bike

16. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

I am going to take the MSF course, though I haven't yet, just trying to pick out a bike with my permit in the mean time.

Still looking at the advice of people here though, currently checking out a 92 zx6r for 700 that doesn't have carbs on it.

Can anyone tell me how hard it would be for me to buy a carb kit for the bike and replace them? Is it possible for me to just do myself without a HUGE amount of work or special tools, and how much would doing it run me?

17. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

no special tools required, but I wouldn't buy a bike that doesn't run for your first bike.

18. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

I wouldn't buy a bike that I couldn't hear run

19. Trey-D

Trey-D New Member

qft!

i would go with a new-ish 600cc. like stated above, cbr 600 f3,f4i are great starter bikes. quick enough to get into trouble, comfortable enough to learn.

my self, my first bike was a ninja zx-10. i was 17, it was a tank. but i never dropped it once.

and remember. always ride within your limits!